Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Possible for a beginner welder?

Wheresmy10mm
Getting Established

Possible for a beginner welder?

Boxing stand broken attach.jpgMy boxing punching bag stand broke. The metal snapped off and another part of it bent. It's quite thick, is this something a beginner can repair weld? Or should I just bin the whole thing?

The part that broke/bent, is the bottom part of the diagonal tube (that holds the punching bag).
The bottom part of the tube connects to the rest of the frame with two bolts. 

Boxing Stand broken.jpgBoxing stand built.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Possible for a beginner welder?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wheresmy10mm. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

A beginner welder could repair this, and it is potentially an excellent project to start with if you were interested in welding. Is there any chance you could borrow a welder, or perhaps someone you knew could assist you with the project? If not, I'd recommend having a look at our welder range. Even the base model Ozito 140 Amp Fan Cooled Arc Welder would be sufficient.

I'm not proficient at welding by any means, but I would presume welding that arm directly to the upright would be the most secure way of repairing it. Alternatively, you'd need to weld the top tab back in place and then try to straighten out the lower tab. Since this has broken once, it would be advisable to add additional welding beads or bracing to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Let me mention @Brad and @Noyade to see if they would like to join the conversation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Mr Browser and Mitchell.

"welding that arm directly to the upright would be the most secure way of repairing it."

I'm with you Mitchell - I personally would forget about welding that tab back on and instead weld the angled arm directly onto the upright, at least on three sides as I've illustrated below. Clearly there is a lotta stresses involved and metal fatigue has occurred so I was also thinking - remove that plastic end and weld a piece of plate that is then welded to the angled arm. Should then be able to beat the hell outta that bag with confidence and safety.

Drawbacks include having to repaint all the burnt surfaces and that "connection" is now permanent and I'm not sure if that is of a concern to you Mr Browser in the future with regards breaking down the components and transporting elsewhere?

Yours in amateur welding/engineering. 😊

Graeme.

Boxing stand broken attach.jpg

Thank you Graeme and Mitchell!

Great advice. The transportability isn't a concern for me so I think your solution will be ideal. 
I'm looking forward to getting into welding now. 

Kind regards
John

That's great to hear @Wheresmy10mm. Make sure you keep us posted and reach out anytime you need assistance or have questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Hello.
Just Letting you know how it turned out.
Super messy but quite happy with it, seems quite strong. Some of the welds just made a hole but I just added 2 more side plates to keep it strong. 
Cheers guys

PXL_20210220_105428689.jpgPXL_20210220_105440358.jpgPXL_20210220_105501003.jpg

I'd rather see a decent messy weld bead than a neat bead that hasn't penetrated @Wheresmy10mm. The bead where you have connected the diagonal to the upright is very impressive for a first-time welder; in fact, I'd say it's exceptional! It doesn't actually matter how messy a weld is. That's just aesthetical. The important thing is that it has good penetration of the steel. In the future, if the job calls for it, you can neaten the finish up with a grinder. I believe the old saying goes: A grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't!

Congratulations on a job well done. You must be thrilled with your efforts, and rightly so. Let me mention @Noyade, as I trust he will also be suitably impressed.

Mitchell

So sorry I missed this last year. This forum moves very quickly.

Exceptionally well done! 👍

Happy boxing!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects