Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Universal G-Code Sender

pneri
Finding My Feet

Universal G-Code Sender

Hi

I have a Ox CNC Router table !000mm x 1000mm, I brought the machine from ooznest a couple year ago. Haven't used it for a long time, Now  I Cant get it going, I installed Universal G-Code sender, Tried to get it going but no success, is there anyone in Geelong that has a idea and might be able to come down to my house and help me with it please I am willing to pay for the help.

Regards

Phil

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Universal G-Code Sender

Hi Phil (@pneri), 

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to try and assist. I am in no way familiar with automated router tables, however, I am more than happy to help you troubleshoot the issue.

We would need a few more details on what you have and haven't tried in order to provide a helpful response. After you installed Universal G-Code sender did you select the correct and matching firmware as the one you loaded onto the Arduino? Is the correct port selected and recognised? What happens when you hit connect, is there a message that appears?

You have joined a friendly, helpful community of people who are happy to assist as best they can with no payment required. Let me mention some of those helpful members that might have something to contribute to the discussion @Brad, @Super_D, @Mouthpear and @Seaton.

We look forward to hearing more details about the steps you've already taken to troubleshoot the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Super_D
Becoming a Leader

Does the UGS recognize you Ox CNC...

Seaton
Having an Impact

Can you see a new serial port other than com1 and com2 when you plug in the device?  if not then most likely you don't have the serial port driver loaded.  I have no idea what controller is being used but will most likely be some Arduino variant.  Most genuine uses FTDI drivers, or CH340 drivers if they are a Chinese clones 

This link should help you in getting the drivers installed, or at least what to look for https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/usb-serial-driver-quick-install-/all

FTDI Drivers: https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

CH340 Drivers Howto: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ch340-drivers/all

Once you have a device being seen then you need to check you baud-rate, G-Code Senders baud rate must match that of what's configured on the GRBL controller.  Try 115000 as the starting baud rate 

Can you connect your computer to your controller and open up a terminal window.  Try using tera term or putty, both of which are free and open source.  you should be able to connect to the correct comport 

Type in '$$'. without the quotes and you should see all the settings prints out.   If you can see and read the output then baud rate is correct, if you're getting garbage then baud rate is incorrect and you'll need to try different values

Once you get these steps right then you should be able to send G-Code.

Seaton
Having an Impact

I forgot to add....

Make sure the g-code being produced is for your machines controller, I'm assuming GRBL here.

Whatever application you 're using select the correct post processors to generate the correct G-Code as G-Code processed for other controllers may not run without issue on your target controller.   Do some air cuts first to make sure its not going to do anything crazy, like drive the tool into your workpiece or spoil board.

pneri
Finding My Feet

Thank you

Thank you all that responded to my post about the Universal G-Code sender, but I need someone that can guide me through the hole setting up. from Home CNC to my work piece, because I dot know much about CNC router Table and also my age 70 years

I would need someone to come to my little back yard workshop to show me and help me. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Thank you

Hi @pneri,

You might like to consider the Airtasker site. You can post a job there and those with appropriate skills can offer their services for a set fee. 

Please don't hesitate to post here on Workshop if you have any specific questions - I'm sure our members would be more than happy to help as much as they possibly can. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi

Yes the universal g code does recognise my card. I havr a v3 controller card thst came with the machine and power supply to the motors. But i just cant get it wirking. I need some one that know ox cnc to help me. Bur to come to my workshop and take a look at it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects