Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Using Structaflor yellow as a wall liner for shed

Bloffy
Just Starting Out

Using Structaflor yellow as a wall liner for shed

I've just built a 6m x 3m steel shed which I am decking out as a workshop.

I plan to insulate with batts and was considering lining it with Structaflor 19 x 3600 x 800mm GP Yellowtongue structual flooring.

This would have enough depth to allow me to have french cleats along one long wall and enough length and width to effectively (and cheaply) line the walls. 

It would also give me a much nicer finish than looking at steel walls.

My questions are:

1. Would the flooring warp or otherwise if hung vertically?

2. Would it have enough "strength" to be used vertically?

3. Can I use a clear polyethylene finish to give the walls a bit of protection and make it easier to keep the dust down?

4. Would I need to seal all sides so it wouldn't be effected by moisture in the air etc?

Cheers

Bloffy

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Using Structaflor yellow as a wall liner for shed

From the description...

• Edge wax coat and wax impregnated for added moisture protection
  • Reduces moisture ingress
  • Produced in Australia from sustainably grown Australian plantation pine
  • No need to seal uncut edges
  • Guaranteed 5 months exposure to the elements

1. If it is fixed on properly I wouldn't think warping would be an issue.

2. Yes

3. I would think so, I would test on an offcut first to see if the wax will be a problem. I would tend to go for paint to cover the chipboard look.. it's a personal thing.

4. No need to seal according to them, I must have trust issues because I would seal the sides and back as well.

Bloffy
Just Starting Out

Hi Brad. Thanks for that. I prefer the wood look. I am actually thinking I might do the cleats in merbau to add a contrast. Everything else is great to hear.

Cheers

Bloffy

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Bloffy,

Great to see you receive a helpful reply from one of our very experienced community members in @Brad. Please let us know if you need further assistance with this project. We are looking forward to seeing it come together.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. As you can see, we have many helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand, and let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects