Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wall mounting 50kg boxing bag

nickholme
Getting Established

Wall mounting 50kg boxing bag

Hi guys,

Hope everyone's staying safe! 

I recently bought a boxing bag to keep me occupied during quarantine along with a wall mount (this one: https://jimbradley.com.au/collections/punch-kick-bag-accessories/products/wall-mounted-fixed-bag-arm) with the intention of mounting it on a brick wall in my garage. 

I've attached a photo of the garage below. After doing some reading online I'm a bit paranoid about the load on the wall and wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether the wall should be able to handle the load? It's single brick. 

Would love any thoughts or advice. 

Cheers,

Nick

IMG_20200418_111623.jpg

IMG_20200418_111614.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wall mounting 50kg boxing bag

Welcome to the Workshop community @nickholme. Many thanks for your question. I'd like to assist with answering it.

I note from the product description it is bearing the weight 900mm away from the wall, which is creating a significant load on those bricks it is attached. Do you have the length of the verticle wall attachment beam by chance? It would be good to know the surface area that load is being distributed over.

I'm going to get some help on this one. I believe it would be fine, but I would like to clarify with some more experienced community members. @ProjectPete@gippslandhome would you be able to address any load issues in this scenario?

Thanks again for your question, I look forward to hearing what our fantastic member's thoughts are.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, appreciate the prompt response! The vertical length of the mount is 40cm, the bag weighs 50kg and is 100cm long.

Let me know if there's any other info required!

Cheers,

Nick

Can you send a photo of the mounting/fixing points please?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hey @ProjectPete, what do you mean by that? As in the holes on the bracket? 

Or where I'm planning to put it on the wall? If it's the latter, I haven't decided as yet, just somewhere on the brick wall in my original post. 

For what it's worth, the bracket has 10mm holes intended for dynabolts, but I was advised by a staff member at Bunnings to use anchor screws instead and tighten with a socket as the bricks used to build the house are the ones with holes in them. 

Cheers,

Nick

I suggest using Ramset anchors (rather than sleeve anchors) and you want minimum of 60mm in the wall but the more the better.

The best solution is to Chemset them in (a Ramset) product which accounts for the holes in bricks.

----------
Handy and helpful

Thanks so much @ProjectPete, I've attached photos of the mount and of the screws I purchased from Bunnings. 

Based on your response, I should swap those out for the Ramset ones and then also get some chemset? And with that in place, the wall should be able to han dle the load? 

Thanks again for all your help. 

Cheers,

Nick

IMG_20200419_193512.jpg

I can't see there being a problem mate. It's obviously designed in an appropriate way too.

You'll need a 10mm masonry drill bit and a hammer drill to make the holes in the wall.

----------
Handy and helpful

Thanks @ProjectPete - that advice is awesome. Hoping to pick your brain one last time to ensure I'm all clear - sorry to bother again! 

Had a look on the Bunnings website and guessing I need the following: 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-10-x-75mm-galvanised-ankascrew-masonry-anchor_p2260280

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-multifit-sieve-4-pack_p2260417

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-300ml-ultra-fix-plus_p2264757

If that's the case, all seems straight forward except one part - with the chemset, it says to put the anchor in and let it dry before loading, how would I get the bag mount on to the anchor if it's already set in the wall? The holes won't be big enough to go on to the anchor? Or am I missing something? 

Cheers,

Nick

Hi @nickholme.

In case you want to get the project going now, I thought I could answer that for you. The products you have selected are exactly what you need. When they say let it dry before loading they are referring to the bag in your case. It will be fine to install the bracket. You can install the bracket with the bolts then using a brace (possibly a stick of timber) prop it against the bracket to support the weight.brace.png

I hope that is of assistance, please let me know if there are any other questions you have.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects