Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which glues work best?

Henno
Having an Impact

Which glues work best?

Hi guys,

I've been away a while, but I'm back and looking for some advice on glues.

I'm sick of looking for a "one size fits all" answer as I know that never works, so now I'm biting the bullet and splashing out on a group of glues, but there's that many that it's sending me nuts!

I know it's horses for courses, but some info regarding brands and types would be helpful.

All materials come into question here but I am mainly working with wood, plastics, and some other porous materials, and so all brands are up for examination. Money's not an issue as you need good stuff to do a good job.

Also, being wasteful is a priority, so being able to reseal the container to ensure reuse is a must. No nonsense about sticking nails in the end or putting electrical tape on the end. Just a clean seal would be good.

Thanks in advance guys!

Henno 😎

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Which glues work best?

Heya @Henno,

Great to have you back on the site. Looking forward to reading about your new projects and plans.

I'm sure @MitchellMc would be happy to assist you with this tomorrow when he's back on the site, as well as plenty of other community members, but in the meantime could you please be a little more specific about what you want to use the glues for? I'm sure that would really help Mitch and other members provide more useful suggestions for you.

Thanks heaps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Henno. I'd be happy to assist with your question.

I'll break my reply down into the individual mediums you have mentioned, as you are correct no one glue is suitable for all projects.

Wood-

There are two main types of glue essential for woodworking, they are PVA's and Polyurethane. PVA is used for general purpose joints and comes in both interior and exterior varieties. Polyurethane is used for joints where stress will be on the joints as it has stronger bonding capabilities than PVA. An example would be glueing a chair leg back where it has broken off before.

Plastics-

There are many different types of plastics and the type will determine what glue is suitable. Polypropylene and polyethylene plastics require a primer for good adhesion which can be found in products Selleys 3ml All Plastic Fix Primer And Adhesive and Loctite 2g And 4ml 2 Part All Plastic Superglue. The latter being also suitable for ABS plastics.

Porous materials-

This encompasses a variety of different mediums but generally, a construction adhesive does a great job fixing most of them. It is suitable for bonding MDF, particleboard, timber, concrete, masonry, ceramics and most plastics.

All of these products come with sealing caps to easily store the products within their containers.

I hope this is helpful in selecting the correct glue for the job. If there are any specific glues you would like more information on or had additional questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc. This info will go a long way to helping me make some choices.

The only other issue I have is that brands don’t sell their product in more economical amounts. Unless you’re a tradie using gallons, sorry, litres of the stuff, it tends to come in rather small amounts.

Anyway Mitch, thanks again for the input. 
Regards

Henno 😎

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I'm a huge fan of this glue. I laughingly glued back a broken corner piece on a concrete step thinking it would fall off with the first encounter of a persons foot. Three years later, it's still there - and I can put my entire body weight (which is a lot!) on the corner - and it doesn't budge.

20200521_113427.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects