Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Workshop barn doors

Beachbox
Having an Impact

Workshop barn doors

I do a lot of my projects in my shed and carport but the weather has been a little awful at times on the coast so I decided to make some barn doors for my carport. It was a fun project and thought I would share. I hope you like them.

Glazed and hung.Glazed and hung.barn2.jpgbarn3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Workshop barn doors

Wow, that's sensational @Beachbox

What was the door system previously, a roller door? Did you leave it in place and retrofit these on the outside? I love the look you've achieved and feel it matches the rest of your aesthetics tremendously well. I'm sure you'll receive plenty of questions from inspired members wishing to replicate your fantastic work.

Did you have any hiccups along the way or real successes?

Many thanks for sharing, and I look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thankyou for your comments.

Previously, this was just an open carport. A couple of months ago I bought some shutters to put down the side and then I thought it would be good to have some doors as well. This way, from my deck it will look tidy if I am in the middle of a project and I have mess everywhere.

With regard to the project itself, how it came about was when I was at the local recycled timber yard picking up a few lengths of timber for another project, I came across some nice Oregon timber and had to design the doors in my head while I selected the lengths and sizes of timber I would need to make them and I just had enough with about 1 offcut about 600mm long to spare....worked out well.

I used the external v groove boards to line the doors that I picked up from Bunnings and I ordered some frosted safety glass from my local glass supplier to glaze the window section at the top. I wanted an "ols school" type latch which I could not source locally so I had to import it from the UK. 

Very satisfying project and I hope I have inspired others to have a go at something like this , you just need to take your time and plan the project before you start.

viv59
Just Starting Out

It looks so good!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

The plantation shutters look interesting too!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @viv59. It's wonderful to have you join us, and I'm glad to see you've found this project of interest.

Let me mention @Beachbox, so they are alerted to your kind comment.

Do you have a workshop or garage that could do will a similar renovation? It really is a sensational project, and with the advice of @Beachbox and our helpful community members, I'm sure you could achieve the same results.

I look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please let us know if you ever have something to share with the community or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mrs_Wortho32
Growing in Experience

WOW!!! This is soooooo beautiful!! Well done. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects