Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any tips on creating a herb garden?

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Any tips on creating a herb garden?

I'm looking for some small scale gardening help!

I've had some success with my DIY projects in the past, but up until now I've always been a terrible gardener.

I'm keen to try and start my green fingered journey again by creating a herb garden. I haven't got much room to play with outside and I'm assuming herbs don't need too much space. I like the idea of starting small with something I can cook with, too.

Whenever I've attempted things like this in the past though, they seem to get off to a good start, but then die off quickly.

So my questions are:

1. What are the best herbs to plant in Summer?

2. Are there any particularly hardy herbs that it would be hard for even me to kill? 

3. Are there any particular tips for keeping a herb garden healthy in general.

Look forward to your tips!

herbs.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Any Tips on Creating a Herb Garden?

Hi @Peggers

I'm sure the Bunnings Workshop community would be happy to help. It's great to have plenty of fresh herbs on hand - really improves the flavour of your cooking and can save a lot of money. 

Can you please let us know what kind of a space you are planning to use for your herbs? Are you planning on planting in the ground, pots or perhaps a raised garden bed like this great example from @Andy_J? You might even consider an old wheelbarrow like @mich1972. And have you ever tried growing herbs indoors?

Bunnings obviously offers a large range of herbs to choose from at this time of year, such as chives, dill, coriander, rosemary, oregano, basil and parsley. Personally, I'd suggest you start with parsley, mint and rosemary as it would be hard to imagine anyone not being able to grow them! 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Any tips on creating a herb garden?

Hello @Peggers 

My herb garden has been turned into my neighborhood possums moveable feast. It's true when they say location, location, location. I would not have placed it close to a tree. Someplace with more sunshine and definitely closer to my garden hose. But at the moment my herb garden is used by some very tough growing weeds. Hope you have better luck.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Evening @redracer01 , no, that sounds EXACTLY like my herb garden too!! I'm thinking planter boxes closer to the kitchen are the way to go (way to grow?). So that I remember to check and water them every day. Will keep you posted.

Hi @Peggers 

The best way is to start off small and see how you go. A small raised garden bed would be perfect to start with. It certainly would be hard to keep the ‘locals’ visiting and feasting on them. 🌿😊

@mich1972 thank you - good advice. I think I'll make myself a small raised planter this weekend and then make a start. Any advice on which herbs are the hardiest?

Pelzy76
Finding My Feet

Hi Peggers, my advice is to start with herbs that wont bolt in the sun. Some herbs like parsley, basil, mint and loose leaf lettuce's prefer shade. The tougher stem type herbs like rosemary and thyme do better and thrive in full sun. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pelzy76. It's great that you've joined us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

You are obviously very knowledgeable, and I trust our members will appreciate your contribution.

We look forward to hearing about your projects around the house and garden, and we'd encourage you to let us know if you have something to share or need any assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Pelzy76 Thanks for the tip! I'll start with rosemary and thyme, as I can't guarantee shade where the planter will be placed. I'll report back on progress here later. Looking forward to roast potatoes already!!

VegaNano
Growing in Experience

Hardy summer HERBS Italian & Curly PARSLEY..BASILS X 3..SPRING ONION..Try a Vertical Pot Garden for small spaces

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects