Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I put decking or wet rubber pour near/above stormwater drain

YeziQ
Just Starting Out

Can I put decking or wet rubber pour near/above stormwater drain

wx_camera_1642137832752.jpg

 In the photo is the corner of my back yard. There was bamboo , but has been removed. We are thinking of putting decking above it or wet rubber pour around it. But we are not sure if we are allowed to do so. If no, any suggestions on what we can put to look good and useful.  If yes, how do we do with the drain.  Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I put decking or wet rubber pour near/above stormwater drain

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @YeziQ. It's marvellous to have you join us and many thanks for your question about building within close proximity to stormwater drainage.

Unless there is some type of easement in this location you can build over a stormwater pipe. You will need to find out where the pipe runs to avoid damaging it whilst placing footers for the deck. You'll also need to make sure the inspection outlet and grate are still accessible. Building an access panel into the deck which you can lift up if needed would be an option.

Rubber pour would be a simple solution and it could be laid up flush with the grates surround. 

As long as you pay attention to the fact that you're building over the drain you should have any issues. I'd encourage you to put together a design for your deck and show us. That way our members will be able to provide further assistance. 

For more project advice and inspiration, check out:

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects