Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Could anyone help me identify this plant and the disease it has (so I can treat?)

nicolamilsom
Growing in Experience

Could anyone help me identify this plant and the disease it has (so I can treat?)

Hello.

I would love some advice on what kind of plant I have growing along the window of my south-facing loungeroom. It produces yellow flowers in the summer and autumn.

It appears to have a disease and I'd love to treat it (I have already applied a fertiliser).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Nicola

Garden 1.jpgGarden 2.jpg

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Could anyone help me identify this plant and the disease it has (so I can treat?)

Good morning @nicolamilsom sending you a big Spring welcome to the Workshop Community. 😃 This is a great question and a common Pest ! It’s Spider Mites. They are tiny to see but you can see all the damage they do. Spider Mites rasp and suck, suck out all the nutrients and the leaves turn a silvery grey. I can suggest to cut out the badly affected leaves and then give it a thorough spray of Yates Natursoap. This is a good one to use. Eco Neem Oil is another good one for Spider Mites. Please ensure you wear the appropriate PPE when spraying, gloves, mask, long sleeve shirt, safety glasses. 
Don’t spray on a windy day and don’t spray in the heat of the day, early morning or late afternoon/evening. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Could anyone help me identify this plant and the disease it has (so I can treat?)

Hello @nicolamilsom 

Looking at the leaf pattern it appears to be Australian Laurel. Let me tag @Noelle for a second opinion on the plant's identity. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @mich1972. I totally agree with using Yates 200ml Nature's Way Vegie And Herb Concentrate (Natra Soap) or Eco Neem Oil. I only suggest making sure to spray the bottom of the leaves as well.

Please make sure to remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask. Please make sure to read and follow the safety precautions at the back of the bottle.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with @EricL re the identity and with @mich1972  re the problem and how to control it.  This same pest can cause identical symptoms on azaleas too, so if you have any in your garden be sure to be proactive, keep an eye on them and treat at the first signs.

nicolamilsom
Growing in Experience

Many thanks @Noelle@EricL and @mich1972. I really appreciate your advice. 

I have no idea what this shrub is, but it was nearly dead with the same leaf problem. I went to a nursery and they suggested the spray seen below - which never helped.

So I cut it all back and even debated removing it completely - but amazingly, it grew back. Now I know what to get next time...

20230916_091305.jpg

Wrong solution?Wrong solution?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects