Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creating compost

Cherie
Finding My Feet

Creating compost

We've just moved from Sydney to Tassie into our first home after years of living in a dark flat with equally damp dark garden. I now have a beautiful sun drenched front and back garden with very happy roses and vegie gardens to build.  I've bought a good compost bin but want to be sure I'm getting the most out of it and not just using it as a storage unit for rotting scraps etc.

Can anyone give some advise on how best to use it.  I could go to the compost sites but thought I'd check for real life experience.

Cheers

Cherie

Compost_steaming_-_detail_2.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Creating Compost

Hi @Cherie,

Just wondering how your new compost bin is going? It was great to see you get such fantastic advice and suggestions from other community members. I trust you found their posts useful. Feel free to post again anytime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

This morning I was fortunate enough to visit the Bayswater Bunnings store and enjoy a gardening workshop on composting with @robbayswater.

Rob provided lots of great advice for the attendees, but the message he stressed over and over was to ensure your compost isn't too dry. Rob recommends adding the same amount of water to your compost as any other material. So for example, add a cup of water for every cup of kitchen scraps. 

Many attendees were curious about what should and shouldn't be put in the compost. Rob says citrus and onion should be avoided, as it affects the pH level too much, takes too long to break down and can attract the wrong type of insects. Meat and dairy should also be avoided as they attract rodents. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Visitors to this popular topic should also check out the fantastic discussion kicked off by the Hot Composting Bays created by @timjeffries. See https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gallery/Hot-Composting-Bays/cns-p/1615 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects