Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dividing in-ground worm farms

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Dividing in-ground worm farms

20211128_130800.jpg

It has been a couple of months since we put in an in-ground worm farm. They have been working well, and all our green waste have gone back into the garden. The worms were getting very crowded, so we decided to move some of the worms into a new farm. We now have three of these in the garden.

Cover farm with Terracotta SaucerCover farm with Terracotta SaucerAdd water and coverAdd water and coverPlace worms into new farmPlace worms into new farmTake about 1/4 of the wormsTake about 1/4 of the wormsLost of worms to be movedLost of worms to be movedCover with dirtCover with dirtPlace into the groundPlace into the groundDrainage holes (side)Drainage holes (side)Make some holesMake some holesOld planterOld planter

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dividing in ground worm farms

Hi @Nham

It's great to hear that your ground worm farm is getting bigger. Have you considered a Tumbleweed Worm Cafe? I only mention it as it can process a maximum of 6 kilos of kitchen scraps every week. Another thought that occurs to me is that your worm farm may get so big it might occupy a lot of space in your garden. Using the worm cafe you should be able to manage the worm castings without requiring more space. 

Thank you so much for sharing that garden update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Dividing in-ground worm farms

Hi @Nham thanks for the tips.  I am not knowledgeable at gardening, so I really appreciate the input from those who are.

At one stage you say to cover it in water...   do you simply pour water in, up to flooding point? Does this not drown the worms? Can you clarify this for me please?  Thanks, Tedbear.

Nham
Becoming a Leader

HI @TedBear , I add about 1 L of water every week or so, just to keep the farm moist. Too much water and your worms will get sick. There is drainage at the bottom and that will get rid of any excess water. The second farm we set up a few weeks ago is now full of worms. I also find that the worms love to live in between the newspaper sheets. All the best, Nham 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @Nham .

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects