Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you fix a compacted lawn ?

curo123
Growing in Experience

How do you fix a compacted lawn ?

IMG_9723.JPGIMG_9724.JPGIMG_9725.JPGIMG_9721.JPGIMG_9722.JPG

What type of products should I use to fix these areas that are compacted. These areas are also uneven compared to the rest of the lawn. Should I add top soil ? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you fix a compacted lawn ?

Hello @curo123 

Thank you for sharing your question about your compacted lawn. To loosen the soil in that area, I suggest using a lawn aerator. But to level it off, I recommend using Scotts Lawn Builder 25L Organic Lawn Soil Topdress & Underlay. To repair the patch, you can either put new lawn seed in the area or dig out the spot and put a roll of turf into it. 

Here are some handy links to help with your lawn repair:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
curo123
Growing in Experience

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. What would be the best season to apply Scotts lawn builder and lawn seed?

Also, can you apply native soil as a topdress?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @curo123 

Applying topdressing to an existing lawn is best done in Autumn, after the peak of Summer has passed and before the beginning of Winter rains. It's best to avoid topdressing in mid-Summer. The best time to seed new lawns and patch existing turf is in mid-Spring, allowing time for the seeds to germinate and the grass to establish before Summer.

If you already have native soil in your possession, you can use that as well. But I suggest adding Munns Professional 10kg Instant Turf And Seed Starter Fertiliser

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your turf fully repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
curo123
Growing in Experience

Thanks for all your help, Eric. Bunnings workshop is amazing.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects