Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach an aqua retractable hose reel to a narrow metal rectangular tube fence post?

JRM
Just Starting Out

How to attach an aqua retractable hose reel to a narrow metal rectangular tube fence post?

The 4 precut holes are wider than the metal fence post. How can I attach it?

mount.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to attach an aqua retractable hose reel to a narrow metal rectangular tube fence post?

G'day JRM.

Maybe aluminium plate bridges - spanning the corrugations - and then attaching that bracket using pop rivets, nut rivets, small bolts or whatever.

Scan1216.jpg

Just a quick thought.

Cheers.

Graeme.

Re: How to attach an aqua retractable hose reel to a narrow metal rectangular tube fence post?

Hi @JRM  and @Noyade 

I think  1  screw  mounted at the top and  one at the bottom is plenty of holing power or up size screw a bit, Let the body of mount over hang post.

But see  diagram for two alternatives.

First is  drill extra middle mounting point on  mount bracket so 4 screws used to hold mount.

Second is use a timber or metal plate under  first two  mounting points to allow second  set of original x 4 mounting points to be used.

Mounting options.Mounting options.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JRM. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a hose reel.

It's great that you've already received helpful replies from @Noyade and @Jewelleryrescue.

My vote goes with @Noyade's solution, which gives the most positive connection. I'd suggest using a couple of steel mounting plates. I've spent countless hours fixing hose reels to walls, and it's best to do it right the first time. It's one of those objects that gets tugged and pulled in all directions, and if it's not secured correctly, it will work itself loose.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects