Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to dry out the soil after the deluge?

Walter

How to dry out the soil after the deluge?

Hey DIY'ers.

Many have been through or are going through a deluge.  I still expect ,more rain, and I have some standing water in my garden.

There's just no more capacity for water, but this rain has exposed some areas in my garden where the water is just pooling now.

There's good drainage, but this area (and a couple of others) don't get the sun AT ALL.

I have been reading some stuff on how to dry out the soil a bit faster, with gravel, and quicklime (yeah, like I'm going to put quicklime in my garden - NOT), or maybe hydrated lime. 

On the photo here, I cannot put plants in (at least not yet), and it gets no /very little sun).

PXL_20220411_041307905.jpg

So would using a fork to break up the soil more, the addition of drainage gravel dug into the soil and hydrated lime be something that will help dry out this hopefully once in 30 years event?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to dry out the soil after the deluge?

Hello @Walter

I suggest having a look at this discussion - Adding drainage to fix a muddy lawn, and re-turfing by @Ben. The soil in that area has reached its saturation point. It can't absorb any more water. The water needs to be diverted away from the area to the drain. I recommend putting in a french drain, which is Vinidex 100mm x 20m Socked Slotted Draincoil covered with gravel. However, covering it with turf is also an option.

For even faster drainage, I suggest using Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Compact Polymer Grate And Channel. Any excess water that's heading towards that low area in your garden will get diverted away and prevent it from pooling. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your garden dry.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to dry out the soil after the deluge?

Thanks @EricL . 

i like the idea of the socked drain coil and gravel, which will suit the area, and will be easier for me.

As an added update, this area is next to my new amazing back deck.

Pictures coming in another thread

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects