Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Gardenia Augusta that looks like it has a disease or something eating it?

beatriceb
Finding My Feet

How to fix Gardenia Augusta that looks like it has a disease or something eating it?

We recently planted a few Gardenia Augusta Professor Pucci plants in our garden, and a few of them are starting to look like they have a disease or something is eating them. Any tips on what we should do or feed them with to prevent this from happening? 

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-30 at 11.31.15_5bbdc670.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-01-30 at 11.31.15_80fc3db5.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix Gardenia Augusta that looks like it has a disease or something eating it?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @beatriceb. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Gardenias.

My money would be on possums, as they are known to be fairly partial to Gardenias. There might be other culprits that are contributing to the leaf damage, like slugs and snails, but that cropping of the stem tips screams possums to me. Have you seen any about it? As a temporary solution that will allow the plant to develop to the point of being able to sustain a bit of a munching, I suggest creating a cage out of chicken wire and staking it into the ground. Make it cylindrical and around two times the size of the plant. Cable ties can be used to secure it into a cylinder and tent pegs to position it in the ground.

Let me mention @mich1972 to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to fix Gardenia Augusta that looks like it has a disease or something eating it?

Hi @beatriceb,

I trust you found Mitch's reply helpful.

Just wanted to add that there are many more ideas from Workshop community members in our article How do you keep possums away?

Good luck!

Jason

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @beatriceb. I would say @MitchellMc could be right about that. I thought possibly Grasshoppers. Add a cage over it incase it is possums eating it. @Noelle 

I was thinking it would be something more along the lines of an insect, as we have about 12 of them, and so far only this one is looking like this, and it's the first one in, closest to the driveway. If it is grasshoppers or snails, or something like that, what is best to stop this?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @beatriceb 

For an easy mechanical cover for your plant, I suggest having a look at the Jack 71cm Thinking Outside Plant Cover Sun And Insect. However, if you are after a spray, I propose using Yates 750ml Ready To Use Pyrethrum Insecticide.

Before using it on the entire plant, I recommend testing it one of the leaves to make sure that it will not get leaf burn. If you don't get any reaction from the leaf after some time, you can then commit to spraying the entire plant. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves, goggles and mask when using the spray.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects