Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a Rover Muncher 97361 with auto shut off issue?

ChristopherP
Just Starting Out

How to fix a Rover Muncher 97361 with auto shut off issue?

I bought second hand mulcher, Rover Muncher (I believe the model number is 97361) and it was working well but now when I try and use it it will spin up for about 5 seconds then there is an audible click and it switches itself off.
I believe it's an auto shut off being activated but I don't know how to find it and fix it.
I've attached images of the underside (with the cover off) in case that helps?
20220513_132754.jpg20220513_132736.jpg20220513_132729.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a Rover Muncher 97361 with auto shut off issue?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ChristopherP. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing your mulcher.

Given this is a 240volt machine, my advice would be to look at purchasing a new mulcher unless there is some mechanical issue that you can quickly fix. Any electrical components within this machine need to be serviced by a qualified electrician as there is a risk of electrical shock, resulting in serious injury or worse. Alternatively, you could take it to a Rover service centre, and they might be able to have a look at it for you.

It sounds like an overload switch is being triggered. On current mulchers, if you continuously feed thick material into them at speed, they'll eventually trip a thermal overload safety switch. Since you're hearing a click and the machine is switching itself off, I'd suggest that there might be an in-built overload switch that's being triggered that's potentially faulty. If you look at the expanded view of the machine below, you'll notice the ON/OFF switch Part 18 is labelled Switch Overload. That's the only device I can see in the diagram that could be cutting power to the motor. 

By the time you replace the potentially faulty overload switch and pay for someone to do so, you'd be well on your way to the cost of a brand new machine. If you did want to go this route, it would be best to contact the manufacturer to see if spare parts were still available and engage the services of an electrician to assist.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

As a failed Electrical Coroner - I do share your frustration when electrical devices fail Christopher and tend to open them up to try and see why. In your second photo I see a large capacitor and what looks like another switch(?) that has an active/neutral supply but not seen in the exploded view? And I don't see how that on/off switch can double as a thermal switch without some sort of thermocouple input?

But spooling up and tripping after 5 seconds is a real worry. We really don't know why.

If it were me I would take a deep breath and mutter "what a shame" and then break it up into components for the bin.  :unhappy:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

To clarify my statement @Noyade, I was referencing current new machines that have a thermal cutout. For this machine, I'd suggest that the ON/OFF switch might act as a simple overload cut out and is tripping due to a motor fault.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects