Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix garden bed edging?

Quachy
Getting Established

How to fix garden bed edging?

Hi,

One of the fencing edge for the garden bed has lifted itself off the soil. Could be tree roots causing this if it's not a tree root, any suggestions on what is holding the timber plank /perimeter down? How are these installed in the 1st place, is there anything there that should be holding them down firmly in place that might be broken?

Feel free to share with me the correct terminology 😃 

the plank is not planted firmly into thet soil, it's lifted out above the soilthe plank is not planted firmly into thet soil, it's lifted out above the soilthis is what the timber plank should look like, firmly sunk into the soilthis is what the timber plank should look like, firmly sunk into the soil

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: fencing for garden bed

Hello @Quachy

It looks like the timber piece that was used as garden edging has slowly come out of the ground. The reasons for it coming out include the one you've mentioned which is roots from a plant or tree, it might also have come out due to the timber warping or twisting and one other possibility is soil movement.

In order to put the edging back into the soil, I suggest inspecting the area where it use to be buried and see if there are any plant roots that have pushed it out. If it has been pushed out cutting the roots could harm the plant. I recommend transferring or moving the edging a bit further away or cutting it shorter so that you can bury it back into the ground.

The end of the edging can be anchored back into the ground using timber stakes. Once they are in the ground the timber edging can be screwed onto the timber stake. Please remember to clear out any weeds or grass that are in the way of the garden edging. The channel will need to be dug out so that the edging can be levelled into the ground properly.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to make sturdy wooden edging? by @lfckop5

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects