Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make sturdy wooden edging?

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

How to make sturdy wooden edging?

I am in the process of redesigning my back yard. My goal is to make really strong and sturdy wooden edging which won't warp. I had some edging in this home when I moved in and if the timber was 2cm thick that's probably being too kind and the stakes were short, small and pretty pathetic. It warped and completely dislodged within 12 months. 

I have now manually edged my lawn to the shape I want it(see attached pictures) and my plan is to use 50mm thick treated pine sleepers for the edging and possibly some timber posts cut to 500mm in length for the stakes to solidly hold the sleepers upright in the ground  and for a long time. 

I will need to join sleepers together at 90 degree angles as i turn corners and also join sleepers in straight lines as some of my lengths are over 4M long. 

Could I ask for some advice on:

1) the best material to use when joining 2 sleepers together in a straight line and at 90 degree angles(I was thinking a timber post could be used but there may be something better to achieve this?)

2) which timber screws would you recommend for this project?

3) any other advice you have for me would be most welcome as I am handy but have never done this before.

Thank you. 

20221006_182604.jpg

20221006_182559.jpg

20221006_182554.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make sturdy wooden edging?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ifckop5. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing sleepers.

As you mentioned, the sleepers themselves can be used as the posts, or if you wanted a particularly strong board, you could use Ridgi 50 x 50 x 3mm 0.65m Galvanised Steel H Joiner Post and Ridgi 50 x 50 x 3mm 0.65m Galvanised Steel Corner Post. They would be overkill for a single sleeper high wall but are convenient to use as the sleeper just slots in. 

It's advisable to break up your spans to avoid distortion of the sleepers. Sleepers will come in 1800, 2400, and 3000mm lengths, and if you are not retaining any soil, you could lay them in those lengths. However, to avoid warping, it's best to have an upright post at least every 2400mm. 

If you decide to use all timber, then these landscape screws would be the best choice for your project.

Check out these helpful step-by-step guides: How to build a retaining wall and How to build a simple raised garden bed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lfckop5
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the reply and advice @MitchellMc . Really appreciate the info and advice given. 

It sounds like I am on the right track and will most likely be using some timber posts which I shall get the good folk at the trade desk to cut into minimum 500mm lengths. 

I shall certainly have posts less than 2400mm apart to avoid warping. I might even paint the sleepers with some monument exterior paint to match my timber fence. That should help with some uv resistance. 

For the corners where I need to make 90 degree joins, will the timber posts be ok to use as the central piece to join for this application.

As i have kikuyu grass with its invasive runners and all, I plan on having half of the sleeper(100mm) below grass level and the other half will be at/above grass level. Any issues you see with me proceeding as I intend to knowing this? 

Thanks again for all the help. 

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc one more question. Do you think I need to use quick set concrete/cement to secure the posts for this project. I imagined the soil would suffice as a support but after watching the tutorial videos you sent me I'm not so sure? 

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Timber posts will be OK to use in the corners and for the central piece of the join, @Ifckop5.

Half-burying the sleepers shouldn't throw any spanners in the works.

Mitchell

Hi @lfckop5 

"My goal is to make really strong and sturdy wooden edging which won't warp."

I found the warping ability of wet sleepers simply amazing. To 'tame' them I went with welded steel brackets set in concrete where the 'arms' could be bent to any angle that the bordering required and adhered with M10 bolts. In this example - scrap gal pipe for the post, which I filled later with spare concrete mix.

I would very much like to see your finished bordering. 👍

20221008_101951.jpg

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc many thanks. I can't wait to get going. I'll post pictures once complete. 

Do you recommend concreting the posts into the ground or is that overkill to support 1 level of sleeper?

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@Noyade thank you for the advice which I appreciate. I shall consider this too and will definitely be posting pictures of the finished product. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sorry @Ifckop5, I missed your additional question. The soil will most likely work if you're not building up the garden bed behind the sleepers. However, given your requirement for a sturdy wooden edging, I'd recommend using concrete. It doesn't need to be a huge footer, perhaps 250 x 250mm.

Mitchell

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

Many thanks @MitchellMc 

Really appreciate the advice. Leave me to it and I shall post pictures once done. I'm planning on completing it all before the end of October due to work commitments. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects