Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix my garden sprinkler?

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

How to fix my garden sprinkler?

I have few sprinklers in the front yard which do not work for some reasons. All are connected to recycled water. I tried to open one sprinkler ( not working ) it has water at the bottom but no pressure what can be the reason. I am trying to understand what can be the reason is there some switch which stops the flow to going other side. or what else can be the reason. I have put together below to give idea what is there and what can i check to fix this if i can ?

Thanks in anticipation 

Sprinkler.png

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix my garden sprinkler?

What an interesting problem @DexterOz. Could you please give us a bit more information so we can try to work out what's going on. Have the sprinklers on the front yard left side ever worked? Or did they just stop working recently? Do you have the same sprinkler heads all the way around your irrigation system? I'm hoping that @MitchellMc or @Adam_W might have some advice to share to help get you unstuck.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
DexterOz
Building a Reputation

@JaneK  i have moved in and never seen the ones on left side work, As far as i understand they are all same "Orbit" brand and looks similar. If the image gives some idea 

Image 2, 3 Sprinklers image 

Image 1 : How they are connect to recycle tap from where i turn them on. 

Image 4 : this is in the backyard not sure is it to control irrigation system or something else 

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-10 at 18.17.32.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-10 at 18.17.39.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-10 at 18.16.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-10 at 18.42.59.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DexterOz,

There are a few reasons why the sprinklers might not be working. They could be broken/jammed, or there is not enough water pressure to operate them, or there is no water being supplied to them. I believe it is most likely that they are jammed or broken.

Start the process of elimination by using the green valves to turn off the sprinklers that are working. Turn the water on. If the sprinklers that weren't previously working start to work, you might not have enough water pressure to operate all the units simultaneously. You could use the green valves to operate the sections independently to get around this issue.

If the previous step didn't work, open the sprinklers that are not working by unscrewing the top mechanism and then turn the water on. Observe if a constant strong flow of water starts bubbling out of the sprinkler. If there is, then it is likely the pop-up mechanism is jammed. It would be best if you replaced them with new units.

If isolating the section didn't work, and no water is bubbling out of the open sprinklers, there is likely an issue with the water supply. It seems like a fairly straightforward system, and unless there has been a pipe rupture underground, water should get to where it is needed. Both the green isolation valves are in the ON position at the moment.

Please let me know the result of following these instructions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks , I tried to check the below

1) turning off/on the valves , it controls the sprinklers in the backyard.

2) took out the top pop up mechanism , filter but that does not helps and can't notice any dirt or anything. Then took out the big round cap on top including pop up mechanism i could notice water at the bottom but no pressure or is it just standing water not sure how it is coming there 

Not sure the reason the water supply is not going to left side or its rupture pipe somewhere or some hidden valve.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DexterOz,

I'm leaning towards a supply issue. If the sprinklers were faulty or jammed, I would expect steady water flow out of them when their internal mechanisms are removed. I find it much more likely that there is a secret valve somewhere than a pipe rupture. The hunt begins!

Let me mention @redracer01 and @TedBear to see if there is something I've overlooked or they could suggest.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @DexterOz 

Having seen @MitchellMc 's excellent suggestion of process of elimination I will have to suggest that we must now take it a step further. Using an earth moving device ( see picture below ) I suggest digging around the the sprinkler and taking the pop up unit out in an orderly fashion starting at the very first point of failure moving towards the end.

Once you have the sprinkler out you can test it by attaching the end of the sprinkler to the end of your garden hose. The sprinkler usually pops up even on low pressure. If the head "pops up" and you get an even nice pattern then you know the unit still works.

Sometimes it is not a rupture but a crushed, collapsed or pinched line. Using your shovel carefully dig around for the line and see if you can follow it back to the main working line. At some point you might see where the collapse or pinch occurred. If you wish to bypass this step and create a new line then you will have to dig a new channel towards a line that has working water passing through it or back to the main splitter box.

Testing water pressure along the failed side of the garden. Using your garden hose you can "link" to the "T connector" in the ground where you removed your first pop up sprinkler. Turning the water on will now show you if the other lines have collapsed or if the failure occurred earlier along the line. If neither of the pop up sprinklers pop up further along the line then you know there has been a line failure. Those will need to be either dug up or you may create a new line to the sprinklers. We must also take in to account Mitchells suggestion that there may be not enough pressure in the line to make it work. So make sure that your garden hose is on high to make sure you have good pressure passing through the line.

You may choose to test the other sprinklers along the line but our goal is to determine where the failure occurred and fix it. This will then restore your sprinkler system on that side of the garden. My suggestion for the fix is to have a stronger line or stiffer line should you replace it and not bury too deep so that pressure from the top soil will not crush the line. I hope this suggestion helps and you get your system back on line.

Cheers,

Red

Ultimate earth moving device.Ultimate earth moving device. 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi @DexterOz ,

I have to agree with both @MitchellMc  & @redracer01   that there is little option but to start tracing the water connections back through the ground. I'd start from the nearest point of the non working section back toward your valves. The only point I'd disagree on is the digging tool. I find a trenching spade invaluable for many gardening jobs, especially tracing retic,  with minimal disturbance & risk to pipes.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/spear-jackson-long-handle-trenching-shovel_p3350281

DexterOz
Building a Reputation

Thanks for your valuable suggestion @TedBear and @redracer01 yes certainly next thing i will spend some time dig and take the sprinkler out. Hopefully can fix the fault. 

Will keep you posted. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects