Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix puncture in retic?

Izzy78
Getting Established

How to fix puncture in retic?

Hi. I need help in fixing a puncture on one of my retic tubes. Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Izzy 

20221215_185516.jpg

20221215_185510.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix puncture in retic?

Hello @Izzy78

I suggest using Tommy Tape 25mm x 3m Clear Self-Fusing Silicone Tape. But before applying the sealing tape, I suggest cleaning the pipe with detergent and water and scrubbing the pipe clean. Once it is totally dry you then can apply the tape to the leak. It will take a few rounds of it and make sure to pull the tape to activate it when placing it over itself.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Izzy78
Getting Established

Thanks for your prompt reply Eric.

Hi @EricL 

Thats a new product to me that sounds good :smile:  I learnt something new today.

Izzy78
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

I must be doing something wrong. I have gone round the damaged pipe 6 to 7 rounds and left it overnight. When I turned on my retic, water was bursting out from the same hole.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Izzy78

I'm sorry to hear the tape did not work for you. If you have some of the tape left, I suggest giving it one more try, but this time I recommend pulling the tape hard immediately as you wind it around the pipe, continue to pull hard so that the tape will bind itself together. Don't let go of the pressure until the hole is fully sealed. 

However, if the tape does not work out, I suggest unscrewing the pop-out riser and measuring the diameter of the pipe. In order to repair it correctly you'll need to put in for example a Holman 15mm PVC Coupling. The pipe will need to be cut and the coupler placed between them. I recommend using Protek 125ml Type P Green PVC Cement For High-Pressure Pipes. Please make sure to sand the body of the cut ends and the interior of the coupler to remove the glossy finish on them. This will allow the glue to anchor onto the plastic body.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your sprinkler system leak free.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Izzy78 

Now, I'm just an amateur plumber and student of hydrodynamics, but I have had some success with this method in occluding pin-holes in water mains pressure pipe.

However I do admit there is a lot of trial and error in punching out the 'perfect' piece of rubber in thickness and diameter. Bunnings have an excellent source/variety of rubber for sale.

Once you have the perfect piece of rubber you can adhere it to the hole with silicone or maybe a piece of that tape @EricL has suggested and then cover it with a cut partial piece of PVC pipe shown below - and then strongly clamp....but not too strongly.

Just another suggestion/methodJust another suggestion/method

Hi @Izzy78  and @Noyade 

I didnt want to mention this  initially I though the  tape solution was going to nail the problem if it is  stretched like  @EricL  said and it still might.

I slap on a thick coat of pvc plumers glue to and around to pipe with  the hole.

i use  a 100 to 150mmm  bigger if hole bigger section of the original  pipe and cut a thin slot usually with a hand saw length ways. Then cut off two little angled .tabs  to make a V shape used to press on the  pipe to be repaired as the v is pressed down the  slot opens up  expending open the repair pipe and swallows the damaged pipe  closing with a snap

I open the pipe with the slot  just enough to push it over the damaged pipe turning the slot  opposite position to the hole and letting the whole repaired  section  snap around the old  pipe with the slot 180 degrees away from the hole.

I have used this several times  in low pressure pipes  especially if hole is on the top or side.  If a  Bunnings  is not near by for repair coulpling. Please note the repair section of pipe is  no longer  100% round but slightly elongated and the glue must be thick enough  to fill a slight void.

Quick PVC pipe repair low pressure systems.Quick PVC pipe repair low pressure systems.

Hi all. I would like to express my deepest thanks and appreciation to all of you. I have managed to fix it by using a combination of all suggestions above as seen in attached pic.

Regards,

Izzy

20221223_161221.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work @Izzy78! Thank you for sharing your success with us and for taking the time to give credit to the helpful suggestions provided by the community.

We are always here to help and are glad to have been able to assist you. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out if you have any future questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects