Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve the health of my Palm tree?

vr00mm
Growing in Experience

How to improve the health of my Palm tree?

Dear Members 

I bought this palm tree 5 months ago.

It hasn't grown at all but it also has not died. The leafs dont turn brown so thats good.

There is a hole underneath the pot so there is a good space for water to come out when I water the plant.

Can you tell me why the plant doesn't grow any taller nor bushier?

Do this type of plant grow ever slowly?

Thank you

20230126_073022.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Palm tree

Hi @vr00mm,

It is great that you have kept your plant beautifully green, sadly I cannot say the same for my cane palm. Mine has grown since giving the plant a little liquid fertiliser which may assist in your palm growth. Let me tag our great Workshop garden experts @mich1972 and @LisasGarden to see if they have any suggestions to help your palm and Workshop DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to also assist. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @vr00mm @KatieC It looks like a Kentia Palm and they are slow to medium growers, not fast growing at all. They grow well under a patio with lots of natural light. Morning sunshine is ok, but afternoon sun will burn them. Can’t tell properly by the photo, it looks ok. As long as it’s got a good drainage hole. Should be ok in that pot for now. If you’re not sure, give it a liquid feeding, I always use Charlie Carp. A slow release fertiliser like Osmocote for Potted Plants is good to add to the soil. 
I hope this helps you 😃 

I’m sure other Workshop Community Friends will help you with great advice too. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vr00mm

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @mich1972. Just to add to the suggestions made, can you please have a look inside the pot and see if the roots have reached the sides of the pot and have begun turning in on itself? When roots reach the sides of the pot this is a good indicator that the plant can be transplanted into a bigger pot. It's possible that the root ball has reached its maximum size and is preventing the palm from growing any bigger.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Agreed @EricL  Great observation and advice mate 😊

vr00mm
Growing in Experience

Thank you and wil try them.

And yes they look healthy but it hasnt grown an inch from the time I bought it.

I used the non liquid fertiliser. This doesnt seem enough so ill try the liquid fertiliser.

vr00mm
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric

Thank you for the advise but I am not changing the pot plant for now.

I love the color and the shape of the pot plant.

Maybe the price i pay is the plant stunts. :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

This article might assist you @vr00mm - How to know when to repot your plants.

And then when the time comes, check out our step-by-step guide on How to pot a plant

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects