Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to introduce Ladybugs into my garden?

troy1
Finding My Feet

How to introduce Ladybugs into my garden?

Hi,

I have aphids problem on my cucumber plant. I used the oil top and under the leaf. it didn't work. I would like to introduce ladybugs but how do u do it?

do u plant some flowers that ladybugs like? 

or use sprays? 

I have a balcony so it's not a yard.

aphidsaphidsIMG_2993.JPG 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to introduce Ladybugs into my garden?

Hi @troy1,

Ladybugs can be an effective way of stopping outbreaks of Aphids in your garden. However, I'm not sure that you could encourage enough of them to come to your garden to control an already established outbreak. You really need to get these under control and then think about encouraging Ladybugs in the future. Ladybugs need two things, insect pests to feed on and pollen. You have an abundance of Aphids for them to feed on, so planting some flowers would also assist. 

What was the oil that you applied? Eco oil is an effective way of ridding your plants of Aphids. I'd encourage you to do two applications and report back to us with the results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I have been using eco neem oil. under the leaves and top of it. still have the problems

I researched and suggested to use soapy water for Aphids

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 5.24.27 pm.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @troy1,

Eco neem is also an effective product for ridding your plants of a range of sap-sucking insects, including aphids. Since you don't have a whole heap of plants, I would suggest wiping or spraying the plant's leaves with a mild solution of water and a few drops of dish soap. Once you have wiped the aphids and possibly mites from the leaves' underside, do another application of the neem oil.

Please let us know if that is successful.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VegaNano
Growing in Experience

I noticed Ladybugs after adding ALOT of flowers to garden🐞🐞🐞with not much spaces,Salvias might help

IMG_20210129_120624.jpg

 a simple mix of chopped garlic in water & fresh cook oil sprayed on may help,& if your dirt is old plants wld benefit by add more new bags & SEARLES is a quality buy..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects