Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plant in front of house against brickwork?

abc______12345
Growing in Experience

How to plant in front of house against brickwork?

IMG_0166.jpeg

Looking to place some plants against the bricks of my house. Not going for a typical raised garden bed, but low key, edging and sparingly planting (20mm - <1m) native plants.
As per pic, exposed house brick is 5 bricks high, these are facade bricks they are not structural. 
Total garden would be 7m across house front x 90cm width. I was looking at doing 75 or 100mm high edging, costing up weathering steel or  plastic edging. Inclined to spend on steel for its straightness. Was trying to avoid wood (termites, up keep). 

I have purchased sealant for the bricks. Polyfilla to patch some facade cracks. 

I know to not cover the weep holes. And I will grade soil to grass, away from the house. 
What else am I missing?

Do I add plastic membrane to base of planting area?

Do I put in an ag line?

Do I need to add edging to brick side of framing or does it need a full barrier of gravel/rocks to protect the bricks?

note: in heavy rain, water pools against these bricks as the house has design is flat in front with no front guttering. 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to plant in front of house against brickwork?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @abc______12345. We're delighted to have you join us and trust you will find the site a handy resource containing useful advice and inspiring ideas for all your D.I.Y. projects. 

Thanks for your question. Let me mention our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL as well as garden experts @Noelle and @mich1972 for their suggestions. Also tagging our ever-helpful members @EleventhCoastal and @Jimi in case they have any thoughts. 

While waiting, I recommend checking out Eric's guide How to choose garden edging for useful tips. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @abc______12345 

Good to have you joining the community!

Given drainage along this area is poor, and water pools in front of the bricks after rain, then I would suggest running a drainage line (perforated poly pipe) immediately in front of the bricks and about 30-45cm deep, to channel excess water away from the area, to connect to storm water or wherever your drains flow to.

The existing lawn will also take up some of the moisture.

Rather than creating a garden bed across the front of the house, why not simply plant low growing shrubs intermittently along the front to break up the harsh line between bricks and lawn? These could be of varied height, foliage colour, etc to add interest. These will also help to dry the area.

They're my thoughts. What do you think, @mich1972

@Noelle Thank you for the reply and warm welcome.

When you say to dig a drainage line immediately in front of the brick, how close? The bricks are not foundation supports, it is a brick facade however I wouldn't know how close you are still able to dig.

@Noelle with your suggestion of low shrubs, how would you control the grass growth in that area? The grass would still grow up through mulch...

Through my recent research, I have gone off steel edging (even the lowest edge) for the garden bed as in heavy rain I image it would get trapped on the edging. We do aim to build up the soil in that area, to have a better slope away from the foundations but I image a more permeable edge would be better.

To the right, where the brickwork meets the driveway there is a drain running through the driveway (which then flows to storm water) I could connect to that, however we have not actioned this as the drain is only around 20cm below the surface and I am unsure we could successfully run a positive slope to meet it. 

Thanks again for the reply.

Hi again @abc______12345 

I would think a drainage line using poly pipe could be run about 15-30cm in front of the bricks. A narrow trenching spade would be ideal for this job.

You can eradicate the grass along the front of the house by covering it with a layer of cardboard or similar and then put mulch on top to a depth of about 15cm - the grass will die out through deprivation of sunlight.  If it regrows, then adding mulch regularly will keep it under control. There's always an option to use a whipper-snipper or shears to keep the grass down, if it comes to that.  If you decide to dig a bed then you would need to use some form of edging together with a depth of mulch to stop the grass creeping back towards the house. Once shrubs are established, the lack of light beneath them will discourage the grass.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Agreed @Noelle, great advice for @abc______12345 😊🪴

Thanks @Noelle 

Also with this project (after filling a couple of unsightly brick cracks with polyfilla) I was going to seal the bricks with British Paints White 4 In 1 Prep Water Based Primer Sealer and paint them Monument to match the guttering. I have read that bricks need to breathe and on the contrary that sealing the bricks will repel water.

What do you think?

I know to some this may be an unnecessary cost but I think it will hide the crack repairs and remove the need to pressure wash the bricks in future. Also, I assume that bricks need to breathe when it is double brick house, not a facade like in my case. 

Let me tag a few other helpful community members for their thoughts on whether to seal the bricks @abc______12345.

@Jewelleryrescue@TedBear@EricL - would you like to share your opinion?

Jason

Hi @abc______12345 

I think you said the bricks are not structural, merely a facade to cover the area between the floor joists and the ground?  If so, then they don't need to breathe and if there are weep holes to allow drainage from under the house, then that would be sufficient to allow air to flow through. Painting would enhance the appearance.

HI @abc______12345 

That is all excellent advice from @Noelle regarding drainage, planting and sealing your brick facade. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at the Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel to deal with the pooling water. Any water that happens to pass along that area will get diverted into the channel and directed towards your main drain.

There is also the option of building a concrete walkway in front of the brick facade. this will serve as a buffer against flowing/pooling water as the walkway can be created with a slope that points it toward the outside. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects