Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove weeds and grow a new lawn?

1LilJewel
Getting Established

How to remove weeds and grow a new lawn?

Hi there !

Moved into new home which had grass seed on this strip of soil, a few weeks later it looked like a weedy mess with no grass, then I mowed it just to tidy it up but, it still looks a mess. How can I repair and grow a healthy lawn pls, it gets all day sun so the ground is cracked hard soil and the weeds are thick and stubborn. Cant upload pics

received_281480160743047.jpegIMG20220703131003.jpgIMG_20220618_090642_01.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove weeds and grow a new lawn?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @1LilJewel. We're pleased to have you join us. 

What you have described is a common occurrence. Have a look at Mitch's excellent advice in these discussions: Whole lawn is weed and Lawn weed and let us know if you have any further questions based on the advice shared there. We're here to help. 

Do you need a hand sharing some photos as it would be great to see what you are working with. Feel free to email them to workshop@bunnings.com.au if you can't seem to share them here - we can add them for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

hi @1LilJewel as @Jason mentioned this is a very common question. 

As a career hoticulturist I have spent lot's of time helping people out with their weedy lawns. As others have suggested it's so important to be on top of weeds. If you let them go to seed you will have more and more of them. It's a cycle. Control weeds before they go to flower and you will be a lot better off. There is no silver bullet though. You can't expect to clean up your lawn with only one treatment. I work for Bunnings and I know we have this new product in the 'Kill-and-Grow' aisle of our stores. I've seen it working very well. One of the reasons I like it is that it comes with a marker die in it so you can tell where you've sprayed.  Roundup For Lawns 2.5L Ready To Use Lawn Weedkiller - Bunnings Australia. 

Alternatively, when the weather warms up a little consider a 'weed-and-feed' type product. 

Good luck. 

1LilJewel
Getting Established

Hi Jason,

Thank you so much for your help, I will check out your links and definitely email pics to you and thank you also RobChin, I will consider your helpful advice, much appreciated.😁👌

Jewel

1LilJewel
Getting Established

Weedy Lawn #2

Hi again famz,

so I recently posted about my lawn and there's so much more  to get sorted around my yard but, it's just me myself and I doin it all and, though it seems overwhelming,🥺 it's exciting getting support from you all. 😁

I have started the weedy lawn and checkin out some products next week to treat it, how long after treatment can I start laying grass seed again please?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Weedy Lawn #2

Hi @1LilJewel

It's great to see that you've received excellent advice from my colleagues. If you used Roundup, I recommend giving it two weeks before you start planting. I recommend a scorched earth policy, which means that every blade of grass and weed must be removed prior to planting anything new. 

I also suggest aerating your soil with an aerator tool of your choice and adding soil top dressing to improve your soil mix. Have you considered using pre-cut turf slabs? It is a much faster way of covering the area with grass.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

1LilJewel
Getting Established

Thank you Eric I will be checkin out the options you have sent, appreciate.😁👌

Please keep us updated on your project @1LilJewel, and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects