Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop a tree stump re-sprouting?

Everat
Finding My Feet

How to stop a tree stump re-sprouting?

Hi,

I have some over grown trees which I am going to cut to the ground. I want to stop it from re-sprouting.

Is there a product I can use to paint the stump with to prevent re-sprouting?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stopping a tree stump re-sprouting

Hello @Everat

One method to kill the tree stump is to use Manutec 1kg Epsom Salt. Generally, you drill into the stump with an 8mm or 10mm drill bit. You drill as many holes as you can and as deep as you can, you then fill the holes with Epsom salt. Once all the holes are full, put some water in each hole until they are saturated but not overflowing. 

The Epsom salt in large quantities draws the moisture out of the stump thereby dehydrating it. It should kill off the stump in approximately one month depending on the size of the stump. Cover the stump with a piece of tarp to prevent it from getting wet by the rain. 

However, before you start cutting your trees down, I suggest checking with your local council on the rules and regulations regarding cutting trees on your property. Some states require that you have a permit if the tree is of a certain size. There are exceptions to the rule, but I recommend being thorough just to be safe.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

An alternative is to use glyphosate diluted 1 part glyphosate to 6 parts of water and injected into the trunk in the same way - 8-10mm diameter and about 20-30mm deep.  The herbicide needs to be in co0ntact with the cambium layer - the green wood immediately beneath the bark.  This is where it is absorbed and carried throughout the tree and roots via the sap system.

Either of the options given may take several weeks to work at this time of the year when the sap flow is sluggish due to cold air and soil temperatures.

Everat
Finding My Feet

Thank you @EricL & @Noelle ,

That is very good information, which probably should be put on the Bunnings product page. 🤓

I will definitely look into this more.

Regulations: Yes, I've already looked into it and no such regulations in the area. The trees are only approx 8 years old (approx 10-20cm bark diameter) but have never been cut by the previous owners and are now damaging the gutters.

Thanks so much for your responses. 🙏

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL and all

I have a few stumps - few being cut 1 year ago and 1 big one cut around 5 years ago.

Can I still apply the Epson salts given the stumps are old? And  I will able to break them easily?

A few branches have grown from the stumps.

Thanks

Thierry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry 

The Manutec 1kg Epsom Salt will definitely still work on the stump. But this time aside from drilling from the top I also suggest drilling into the sides of the stump. Please find the biggest and longest drill bit you can attach to your drill. As I mentioned before, drill as many holes as possible and as deep as possible. Add water to the salt and cover it with a tarp. Please remember that it will take several weeks to totally dehydrate the stump.

Please make sure to wear appropriate clothing, gloves, goggles and a mask when using either salt or glyphosate. Please take all necessary safety precautions when handling glyphosate.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects