Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to support a small tree that is tied to a fence?

kashgenius
Growing in Experience

How to support a small tree that is tied to a fence?

Hi,

I have a small tree that is tied to a fence and has now grown heavy. I am afraid that it will break the fence during one of the many windy days in Melbourne. I am attaching a photo here.

I have trimmed it as much as possible. But I do not want to cut it as it gives a little privacy and it flowers beautifully each year. So what options have I got? Can I attach a support to take the weight off the fence? Anything else?WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 12.48.15 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 12.48.15 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 12.48.15.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to support a small tree that is tied to a fence?

Hello @kashgenius

Thanks for sharing your question about how to support your tree. Unfortunately, the wire mesh has had an effect on the growth of the tree. I suggest putting two 100 x 100mm Post H4 Treated Pine Wet CCA on each side of the tree about half a meter away from the tree root and the fence. I recommend cementing the posts into the ground. Once the concrete has hardened transfer the wired mesh to the posts. Use a GRUNT 25mm x 3m Ratchet Tie Down Straps - 2 Pack to wrap the tree body to the mesh and posts. Your objective is to hold the tree firm but not choke it with the straps. Ideally, you'll want the tree body to grow so that it does not need the wire mesh support.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @kashgenius . I have no additional comments about the support but I wonder if your 'tree' is actually a climbing plant like a climbing rose? I can't see enough detail in the photos to say for sure but it could easily be. Does it have thorns on the younger foliage? If you send a photo of the foliage I can suss it further for you and give you some advice on how to best prune it. If it is a climber - might also be able to give you some advice on better options for screening. 

Just saying :smile: 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @kashgenius and @robchin 

Think Rob's on the money - it's a climber but not sure it's a rose. I agree with Eric's suggestion of building a support frame away from the fence - the plant isn't actually attached to the fence, rather it's growing behind the wire mesh attached to the fence. Should be simple enough to accomplish given Eric's very detailed description.

Judicial pruning could certainly help train it better than just allowing it to grow a weighty 'head'.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

You guys know your green things.

I thought it was this, based on the branches - but I think mine's a weed?

Weed?Weed?

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Noyade 

Does your plant have flowers?  If so, what colour and when?  Give us as good a description as you can and we will try to identify it for you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Pretty sure that's a Nandina and not a weed @Noyade. They've got a reasonably unique branch structure and leaf shape.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Noelle and Mitchell.

I think it does flower - white? Not sure now.

Either way - it's not the original poster's shrub - when you look closer.

Nandina looks a match - Mitchell...

20220107_085548.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects