Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tighten Ryobi whipper snipper handle and guard?

DeeS
Finding My Feet

How to tighten Ryobi whipper snipper handle and guard?

Hi there 

I'm going out of my mind with frustration. My Ryobi whipper snipper has two points where no matter how much you tighten the screws/wingnuts etc, the handle and guard will slip and move around the pole. It's out of warranty but I really want to sort this out. I've attached picture where I'm meaning 

IMG_20240401_215309.jpg

IMG_20240401_215309.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to tighten Ryobi whipper snipper handle and guard?

Hi @DeeS 

But no issues till now? No missing nuts? Any nuts/bolts have stripped threads?

Any chance of close-up photos of these areas?

Cheers.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Just a quick thought @DeeS 

If the nut/bolt/screw at the handle is not compromised and the plastic intact - maybe a piece of electrical tape wrapped around the metal will provide that tightening diameter required. But why this is happening for you now - I don't know.

Bicycles are notorious for odd diameter steel tube - and I've found electrical tape great for fitting some bicycle accessories.

But I don't know what's happening at the cutting end of your Ryobi.

20240402_105323.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DeeS 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your Ryobi whipper snipper.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade.

I've run into the same issue with my line trimmer and despite numerous attempts at tightening the fittings it still slides. I've managed to fix it by applying large strips of rubber band to the pole and sandwiching it between the plastic assembly. My best advice is to use large wide strips not the thin type of rubber band.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DeeS
Finding My Feet

@Noyade Thank you for your help. I haven't had a chance to take some photos, but I like your idea about electrical tape. Or like the other poster said about rubber bands

DeeS
Finding My Feet

@EricL Thank you so much for your response. Yes I'm thinking I could give that a try. I'm surprised not more people have this issue. Or do they ? Ryobi have a complete different mechanism now on their line trimmers I noticed

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DeeS 

Personally, I've not heard any reports regarding this issue. I've not seen Ryobi's new setup for the handles, perhaps I'll have a look on the weekend. I only have a cheap Homelite set but it does the job.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.    

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects