Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to unwarp Pine sleeper?

jaiprak
Having an Impact

How to unwarp Pine sleeper?

I have treated pine garden bed (around 5-7 yrs old) running alone the perimeter of the house. They have been capped with 75mm sleeper on top and some of them have warped over time. I see the that the capping has been secured by nails. Would I be able to straighten the capping by screwing batten screws? The timber has warped atleast by 5-10 cm in certain places.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Unwarp pine sleeper

Hi @Noyade 

Sorry to hear that the experiment did not work. I was hopeful that the cut would allow you to untwist the sleeper. But I'm afraid the fibres in the tree are just too tough. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to unwarp Pine sleeper?

Hi again @jaiprak 

"Hi Noyade - Now that’s how an engineer would like to fix it and I wish I am in my 20s and have a lot of throw away time and curiosity."

I'm no engineer.

I'm not young.

But I do have time on my hands. 👍

And I do like to utilise "free" products where I can, so I've decided I'm gonna use these sleepers. My project is to raise a Berlin Wall and wage a war against those black birds with orange beaks who shot-put bark over the present barricade. I'm gonna fabricate my own steel supports and whip those sleepers into alignment - even if it kills me! 😁 And paint.

20230721_121301.jpg

Reduce reuse recycle is the way to go. I live in a suburb that is still building and on a walk every now and then I find strip of nails, screws and pipes that I put to reuse.

curious to see how you reused it.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @jaiprak 

Agree about recycling - especially steel.

I don't want to derail your thread any further - so I'll start another one at some point showing what happens - success or failure.

I'm thinking "Building a Better Bird Bark Barrier."

Cheers!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"I have treated pine garden bed (around 5-7 yrs old) running alone the perimeter of the house."

I went to Bunnings this morning to look at hardware for my 'Bird Wall" and saw these sleepers - I think they're 300 x100mm.

You may take some solace @jaiprak in these photos, proof that warped/deteriorating sleepers happens to the best.

This is part of the Bunnings delivery area - which must have been built circa 2010.

Australia's environment is cruel and harsh.

20230723_084949.jpg

20230723_085030.jpg

Yup agree that it is natural process for any wood. Did you manage to shoo the brown with yellow beak birds?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects