Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use Multicrop clay breaker?

Mic
Getting Established

How to use Multicrop clay breaker?

Hi Team,

I'm using multicrop hose-on claybreaker and followed the instruction. Looks like the liquid is not 'mixing' /used accordingly as level remains almost the same after watering 30 to 45 mins to a surface of 40 sq metre. May I know how long does it normally take to empty the container? And just want to know whether  it is ok to pour the concentrated liquid directly on the soil? Thanking you all in advance.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to use Multicrop clay breaker?

Hi @Mic,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Let me tag a few helpful members for their thoughts on using this hose-on product: @Noelle@mich1972@Marty_greenshed and @robchin. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to assist as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Wow @Mic - sounds like you have the soil from hell. Might be best to send a picture to help with this.

BUT sounds like you have an impervious layer at the surface. Fairly simple solution to your immediate problem but might not be a long term solution. Get a good quality pitchfork and put a lot of holes in the area you are wanting to treat - the deeper the better. That will allow the solution to penetrate. https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-fibreglass-d-handle-garden-fork_p3360925

But this is not going to fix your problem overnight. 

I would be aiming to incorporate some organic matter into soil - by digging in some compost. 

Unfortunately spraying on a bit of liquid clay breaker by itself won't help very quickly. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Mic 

@robchin beat me to the punch :smile: Id be trying what he is suggesting :smile:

If you ghave some pics of teh area it could also help us out with suggestions. I have a very heavy clay bases soil around my area. I have tried the pitchfork idea with the grass seed and it kind of worked, tho havnt tried breaking down the clay content. The only way I know to do that for sure is to add soil to it and break it down that way.

A warm welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: Lots of interesting projects for anbout teh garden and answers to a whole range of stuff are in here. Hopefully some of them will be able to help you out.

Dave

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Mic

Those pesky hose things  never seam to work. I would pour a20 to 40 mm amount into watering can and section the area add it that way.

If you ever  get one of those hose  sprayers to  work empty it and keep it  for next time they dont work.

Also not all clays respond to gypsum treatments.  Test your  dirt clumps in a jar of water if in a couple of days it breaks down  into loose particals it will work better. My  clay just sits there in a lump in the jar.  So organic mulch  like whoflungdung  will feed the worms and there presents will help turn clay into ok soil by digging holes and adding worm castings into clay.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Agreed with @robchin @Mic 😊🪴

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you receive plenty of expert advice @Mic.

Please let us know if you need anything further.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mic
Getting Established

Thanks all for your valuable response. It's a lot of pain to treat clay soil. Alternatively I have been thinking of having raised beds garden instead for half of my backyard. And with rest of  21 sq m (7x3), I intend to have dolomite sand and quarry rubble about 100 mm depth on top of the clay + a layer of decorative pebbles on the very top. Do u think it is a good idea and won't have any drainage issue? Thanks.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Mic 

Depending on the slope of your yard (Any chance of a couple of photos?) Even having rubble could still have water pooling underneath. Have a look where the water runs when it rains, even put a few sticks in the ground where it mainly pools and flows then work with it. If the water pools in spots consider having those spots where your garden beds sit? If it runs a length of the yard then maybe drainage or more quarry rubble. I have clay and the water does soak in, its just slower is all.

Dave

Mic
Getting Established

Hi Dave, it is quite flat and I have almost got my 100 mm depth ready.

20231220_182448.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects