Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for transforming large grass backyard?

remia12
Just Starting Out

Ideas for transforming large grass backyard?

We have a very large backyard and even though we have updated it with a garden bed, and crushed rock patio, it still doesn’t look “done”. I love the look of polished backyards with mature trees and lots of different elements and our backyard still looks really bare. I don’t know what to do. I want to dig up all the grassy area and properly map it out with garden beds and a few trees but would love some inspiration for anyone who started with a big, flat, bare grass backyard and turned it into something beautiful. 

At some point, we’ll probably add decking onto the patio along with a pergola. We also have a large mature orange tree and a garden bed at the back. 

I have attached pics of what it looked like before we got to it and how it looks now.

So, show me your transformations!

BeforeBeforeStage 1 - Hole filled inStage 1 - Hole filled inStage 2 - back fence painted and garden bed put inStage 2 - back fence painted and garden bed put inStage 3 - Crushed patio installedStage 3 - Crushed patio installedCurrent - Side fence replaced with surf mist colorbondCurrent - Side fence replaced with surf mist colorbond

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Looking for inspiration to transform large, bare backyard

Hello @remia12 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your garden makeover.

There are so many possibilities when it comes to garden design. You can have it plain and simple for relaxation; others want a practical garden where they can grow things. Then you have the entertainers who want to be able to show off their garden while having a BBQ. You can even combine all three if you have enough space.

Those polished backyards take time to perfect, and they don't happen overnight. I suggest having a look at those gardens that really impressed you and write down the elements that caught your eye. A certain type of tree or plant, a path that used pavers, a water feature that was built from scratch, timber fence panelling, any feature that inspires you. 

Once you have enough elements on your list then it's time to draw your garden. One of the best visualization exercises you can do is to image that the garden is already there. There is no need to rush, once you have a picture of it in your mind it will just be a matter of getting the materials that you need.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers  

I also suggest having a look at these discussions:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for transforming large grass backyard?

Hi @debra1,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our clever and creative members.

Well done on making a great start on transforming your backyard. It's obviously always a big job, but breaking it down into manageable projects is the way to go. 

It might be helpful to come up with a simple plan on pen and paper of what you might like in your dream backyard. This wonderful guide by experienced member @Adam_W should help - How to plan a garden makeover.

Looking forward to seeing next steps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects