Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Irrigation system has lost pressure

stanalive
Getting Established

Irrigation system has lost pressure

Hi all, I've got an irrigation system with around 7 pop up sprinklers attached to it. In recent months the pressure has gone down considerably and hardly any water is coming out of the sprinklers. I just happened to see a small hole in one of the pipes which I have patched up. However, it has only increased the pressure a little bit. So I'm thinking there is possibly a leak somewhere else. Anyone got any good ideas on how to fix the issue without having to dig up all my grass?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Irrigation system has lost pressure

Hello @stanalive

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your irrigation system.

It is a bit of a worry when the entire system loses water pressure. The telltale signs of failure are usually soft wet patches on the ground, loud hissing noises in the ground when the tap is on full bore and the last one is a bit hard to tell and that's looking at the pressure of each head and seeing which one has the weakest spray. 

A bit of detective work may be necessary to find the source of the leak. I suggest tracking each line and inspecting them by randomly digging in suspected spots of leaks. Your next step is to inspect each spray head to remove any debris. Your last point of inspection is the tap and the line splitters.

The next step will be a bit harder and that is to test each line by disconnecting it from the group. By eliminating each possible point of failure you'll be able to zero down on where the actual cause is.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
stanalive
Getting Established

Thanks Eric that's really helpful. Will give it a shot! 

Hi @stanalive , another possibility to check for is that there is a filter in the line which has clogged up....?

stanalive
Getting Established

Hi @TedBear where is the filter normally located? At the start of the irrigation system? 

That's a good question @stanalive .

There could be a number of inline filters. I like to put them in near  T Junctions (not all), to prevent dirt from holes (and you said you found one) or broken sprinkler tops, flowing back through the whole system, especially into the valves. If you have control valves, I would be looking at the line near each of them. The beginning of the system would also be a good place to check if the low pressure problem starts from there or not. 

stanalive
Getting Established

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects