Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lawn edging ideas wanted

Holdent
Finding My Feet

Lawn edging ideas wanted

43FAB0AF-B6C7-46CC-9A74-AEB1FD2075BC.jpeg

we have just taken out a lot of bushes to maximise the grass space for our kids to kick a ball and play. we now need to do something with the edges to make the back yard more aesthetically pleasing. Our issue is trying to do this without giving up too much lawn.

love some ideas.

1C826E72-542E-4561-A8F7-94493D60A29B.jpeg

89606F32-55E3-48AB-8EF6-45BF016361FF.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lawn edging ideas wanted

Hi again @Holdent,

You might like to provide more detail on the problem you're facing. Do you want to establish some clear and straight edges to the lawn that then border an area outside the lawn?

You might like to check out this helpful guide on How to choose garden edging. There are many different styles of edging that you can finish your grass at.

In regards to your issue of not giving up too much lawn, that really comes down to where you place the edging, and that's up to you. It sounds like it should be placed as far out as possible unless an obstruction prevents it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, appreciate the reply.

We are wanting to make the lawn look really nice without giving up too much grass. We thought the best way for that would be to do something with the edges (where grass meets fence ect). Open to all ideas.

we love the grass space but looks rugged and want ti bring some ambient e

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Holdent,

Your lawn is going to look gorgeous with some edging! @MitchellMc will be back online tomorrow so in the meantime I thought I'd share some great garden projects that have done different types of edging for inspiration: 

We would love to see your lawn transform, please keep us updated with progress photos.

Katie

Thank you, any idea of what we could do that is simple, coat efficient but looks good for the edges?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Holdent 

Edging is something that is used to divide one area from another, but it sounds like you might like to do something where the grass meets the fence. I'm keen to know whether you've seen some inspiration or have any specific ideas about what you'd like to achieve. Typically grass just meets the fence, and you might run a plinth board along the bottom of the fence so the grass meets a flat surface instead of the pailings. Is the grass looking scraggly in those shaded areas where it meets the fence? If so, you can cut it back from the fence, install a garden edging and create a garden bed where plants can be grown in and mulch added. Basically, you want to push the grass back far enough so it is able to grow and look lush. You'll then have a lush and green lawn that ends neatly at garden edging and then traditions to a garden bed.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects