Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mama's French-inspired herb garden planter box

ehill
Having an Impact

Mama's French-inspired herb garden planter box

When planting herbs... BEWARE of Bunnies!!!When planting herbs... BEWARE of Bunnies!!!Following the enjoyable success of my first DIY JULY PROJECT I thought “just keep drilling... just keep drilling”! Mum was eager to put in her order! Custom to her specifications of course!  My instructions were to make a planter box much the same but... WIDER, SHORTER-ish and SELF-standing. Oh! And no numbers... 

PLAN [of attack!]PLAN [of attack!]Sketches, ideas, concepts and plans....Sketches, ideas, concepts and plans....

So, my brain went to work and I came up with the following:  

[spoiler alert: I refer to my previous project – so if you want to jump over >HERE< and read it now, otherwise, please continue...]

I used the excess wood from the ^house number planter^ which was Pine Dressed Premium Grade 285x19mm. My bottom piece was a spare from a Women's Shed class - again thanks Lana!   

And, here is how I did it - 

1. MEASUREMENTS & CUTS

After figuring out my measurements (below), I grab a combination square ruler to mark my cutting lines– we want STRAIGHT ACURATE LINES for cutting!!. After a quick demo from my hubby on how to use the handheld circular saw and a safety run-through - I cut my first piece of wood! It’s scary loud so I highly recommend ear plugs AND eye protection cause it's messy! My dad even bought me special goggles to wear over my glasses [Protector Safety Goggle] #spoilt  

FINAL CUT Measurements =

• BACK = 1 x [500mm (W) x 285mm (H) - also = the width of my wood] 
    • NB: My slab of wood was wide enough, so I thought a straight one-piece cut would look smoother and work better with my design concept. Plus, it meant LESS chances of cutting mistakes! 
  • FRONT = 1 x [500mm (W) x [½-ish the HEIGHT of the BACK = 120mm] (H)]
  • SIDES = 2 x {[FRONT HEIGHT – BOTTOM EDGE = 100mm (H)] x [WIDTH of BOTTOM = 145mm (W)]}

^ I found it difficult in comparison to working with fabric to understand my calculations and to visualize how it all would fit together – especially since cutting is a bit more of a process with wood than it is with fabric... 

Q: I wonder... does anyone use pattern pieces or some kind of model to see if their calculations will work/fit to make an end result? Or is it purely one of those things I’ll work out as I get better? 

2. SAND EDGES SMOOTH

Ok... Now all my pieces are cut – I give them all a quick sand over with a block and a piece of 120 sand paper - focusing mainly on the edges and where the wood was cut.

3. PUT IT TOGETHER: Drill, Glue, Nail/Screw 

+ much the same process as planter but wanted to use a few different tools/ techniques 

1. GLUE SIDES to FRONT with NAILS x 3 on each side– like a little 'table' Nails in the front!Nails in the front!3x Nails on each side AND 3x on the BOTTOM - for a nice look keep them evenly spaced3x Nails on each side AND 3x on the BOTTOM - for a nice look keep them evenly spaced
  2. Turn the 'table' upside down, glue remaining SIDE ends and position the BOTTOM piece on TOP - lining it up so the BOTTOM sits on the SIDES and behind the FRONT. Drill holes on the marks and hammer in x2 NAILS on each bottom side at the BACK (to avoid the nails on the front) Then go back to your FRONT markings and attach x3 NAILS in the FRONT to secure it to the BOTTOM 

Screws in the back!! - These need to be FILLED with wood putty!Screws in the back!! - These need to be FILLED with wood putty!

PXL_20220705_113246954.jpg

3. Attach the box to the BACKBOARD – Line the box flush to the bottom and sides – glue – clamp – drill – countersinkscrew! I was determined to use my new Craftright countersink bits! 

Clamp the box on the sides to really bring that glue home...Clamp the box on the sides to really bring that glue home...We don't want any gaps!We don't want any gaps!

4. Attach the feet – "Lana’s trick" to have it off the front at least 10mm so if you happen to not get them flush it looks like it’s part of the design concept – as opposed to a mistake!! Genius! If you try for flush and don’t get it, it can look messy – less room for error! My favourite room!! Glue and Screw you feet on - equal distances from each other and the edges.Glue and Screw you feet on - equal distances from each other and the edges.I used my father-in-laws Ryobi Tool Rack to stabilise my planter upside down while I put its feet onI used my father-in-laws Ryobi Tool Rack to stabilise my planter upside down while I put its feet onWith the box upside down, position the feet equal distances in from the outside edges - MARK. First, drill a clearance hole in the middle of the foot and mark through the hole onto the bottom; drill a small pilot hole; glue and screw all 4 feet into place – the clearance and pilot holes make it easy for the screw to go through.  

5. Finally drill in some drain holes! 

Not just ordinary drain holes....Not just ordinary drain holes....It says "MUM" :)It says "MUM" :smile:TOP view!TOP view!

+ SCREWS I ended up using (ALL timber and not the chipboard ones ) CHECK your screws!!! I nearly used these CHIPBOARD screws!!!CHECK your screws!!! I nearly used these CHIPBOARD screws!!!

8G 50mm – feet, and back (except bottom corner) 

8G 25mm – Back to bottom (avoid nails) 

+ NAILS 2mm flathead 

DRILLBITS - this is a GREAT article on How to choose the right drill bit for the Job | Bunnings Workshop community

4. FILL Holes

Pretty easy to find the right colour – better homes and garden guy mixed his – pine = pine! Incredible! I used Earl's Timbermate Wood Filler in PINE - it is non toxic, non shrinking AND won't fall out!!! APPLY timber fill to any gaps and holes (my countersunk holes) with a plastic scraper – I tried without and it’s definitely easier with something otherwise it sticks onto your fingers. . 

*TIP* try an old Bunnings’ gift card – who doesn’t have one of them lying around! 

5. SAND ALL OVER!!!! 

I used a sand block and gave it a quick flick all over – starting with a course 100 then finished with a finer 240 – just want to get it all smooth and even before the next step! Also want the timber fill to be blended and smooth!

Smoothly sandedSmoothly sanded

Sand before staining!Sand before staining!Sand your edges with a sand block or orbital sanderSand your edges with a sand block or orbital sanderSmooth out those cornersSmooth out those cornersNB:

Higher the # = fine = less removal - for final finishes (gets rid of little scratches)

Lower the # - coarse = more removal - removes wood fibers more vigorously

6. STAIN  

TIP: Use a tin to prop up your project so you can get right in there! Good ol' Nan!TIP: Use a tin to prop up your project so you can get right in there! Good ol' Nan!

I used a FOAM BRUSH to stainI used a FOAM BRUSH to stain

Gather your supplies!Gather your supplies!

Stained as I did with the planter box: 

- Water popped the grain with a spray bottle

- Foam brush with the wood grain for application

- Leave for a minute or two - WET not STICKY 

- Wipe off with a rag

- Repeat till colour/depth is where you want it!  

- Leave to cure for 24 hours 

Used the left over Sikkens Ebony #20Used the left over Sikkens Ebony #20Use a CLEAN foam brush - this one was dirty and see how the application isn't going on smoothlyUse a CLEAN foam brush - this one was dirty and see how the application isn't going on smoothlyYou will need a Stain, a CLEAN foam brushes and a rag!You will need a Stain, a CLEAN foam brushes and a rag!"Water Popping" technique to bring out the grain of the wood"Water Popping" technique to bring out the grain of the woodI had just enough to stain the back in the corners + I through a few streaks in!I had just enough to stain the back in the corners + I through a few streaks in!I didn't bother with the inside - at this point - I knew I would have to come back to stain again anywayI didn't bother with the inside - at this point - I knew I would have to come back to stain again anywayI completely covered the front exterior with the darker stain...I completely covered the front exterior with the darker stain...

7. PAINT 

completely cover your front (over the first layer of stain(completely cover your front (over the first layer of stain(

I originally wanted to go with a vintage white but knowing my mums history with plants I thought it might be more PRACTICAL to have a chalkboard background. This way she can write the name of whatever she is planting! - shanty to chic chalkboard platter  

I used - White Knight Chalkboard Paint in "Chalk board green". I accidentally bought the wrong colour – whoops - didn’t even know that you could get a green chalkboard paint!? But Mum said that it reminded her of a green cake shop (pâtisserie Ladurée) on The Avenue des Champs-Élysées in Paris, where she had the best macaroon in her life! - So we’ll just go with that shall we?  

I'm just lucky I didn’t get CHALK PAINT!!  NB: chalkboard paint vs. chalk paint - there is a difference! Mainly, you can't write on a chalk paint like you can with chalkboard paint. Think school chalkboard compared to that vintage dresser of your Grans! 

Also wanted to try the "Vaseline trick" by DIYers – Shanty to Chic – Distress Paint with Vaseline! I didn’t have Vaseline, so instead used Paw Paw, and applied it to the areas I wanted the paint to [more easily] sand off. 

I mixed a 1:1 ratio of chalkboard paint and Leni by Boyle's waterproof sealant - I wanted as much protection as possible.

The 1 application was enough – especially if I am taking [bits of] it off. Went to town on the paint all over the front but I saved the back just so I could see the outcome of my stain experiment.

TIP : hard to get off brushes (unless you have turps?) so highly recommend using an old-ish brush for application. Just not too old – don't want clumps and stray bristles – we still want a smoooooth finish! 

8. SAND BACK PAINT 

Smooth the corners and edgesSmooth the corners and edges

“shoojed” away any scratches, marks and bumps!“shoojed” away any scratches, marks and bumps!

First I sanded with Ozito 6 hole random orbital detail sander (thanks to my fave father-in-law, Tony!)  

• Start in the area with Paw Paw – should come off quite easily  

Then with the big orbital sander (special thanks to my fave father, Dad!) sanded WITH the GRAIN over the paint till I was happy with the amount of timber exposed. I want rustic remember – so all those grainy bits of the wood, the stain and the chalkboard paint together make for a very “antique” look – if I say so myself!  

9. STAIN... AGAIN! Want to give a lift to the wood after the chalk has been sanded back  

PXL_20220707_043834567.jpgPXL_20220707_043851614.jpgStained EVERYWHERE - including the paint - the WHOLE PLANTER! Even its little feet!Stained EVERYWHERE - including the paint - the WHOLE PLANTER! Even its little feet!At this point, I’m happy with the level of texture I have but I want a deeper stain to the wood 

Out of Ebony - so went to Bunnings and got more - Mum chose (Sikkens) Dark Oak #9, which being a lighter colour will help to accentuate the depth of the Ebony I'd already applied.   PXL_20220707_043825530.jpg

You can see on the back how the colour worked - those little streaks and the corners really POP

• Went over it 2/3ish (maybe 4?) more times  - using the same technique as before

* NB: I also went back later to re-sand my sides for more “dishevelment” AND re-stained with the very last few drops left! I like to avoid waste as much as possible!

10. STENCIL 

Leaving my stain to ‘digest’ itself into the wood I design my stencil with my Cricut Maker. PXL_20220709_021811928.jpg

Because it’s for my mum I wanted a personal touch – and Kristen’s Herb Garden didn’t look nearly as fancy as it’s French interpretation. Using Google translate to check my spelling and translation (admittedly I was a bit off but my Year 8 French Teacher would be proud!)

Use Cricut Stencil VinylUse Cricut Stencil Vinyl

Let the Cricut do its thing!Let the Cricut do its thing!

Design on Cricut Design Space – cut Stencil Vinyl – use clear contact sheet (the stuff from school book covers) to transfer your design onto the FRONT of the

planter – mark your center on both the front and the stencil so you know where to put it!  

Once it’s in place use a plastic type scraper (or grab that old Bunnings’ gift card again!!) and swipe over/press the stencil onto the front. Remove the transfer vinyl at a 45-degree angle – if not stuck down enough give it a few more swipes. Once the transfer vinyl is removed, we only have the stencil remaining! AMAZING RIGHT?!!  

Weed out the words of the stencilWeed out the words of the stencilTransfer to clear vinyl (contact sheet)Transfer to clear vinyl (contact sheet)Use a plastic scraper to transferUse a plastic scraper to transferPeel back the stencil backingPeel back the stencil backingAttached to transfer vinylAttached to transfer vinyl

My stencil vinyl is running scarce so I attempted to avoid wastage as much as possible. The consequence being that I while I used less material, I had more room for mistakes!!! 

But wait... MASKING TAPE TO THE RESCUE!!!!  Filling space I DON’T want paint to go (as much as possible) with masking tape and if you those small excess cuts of stencil vinyl 

Peel back transfer vinyl at a 45 degree anglePeel back transfer vinyl at a 45 degree angleFrom each sideFrom each sideStencil transferred - now I need to cover the area I DON'T want paint to go!!!!Stencil transferred - now I need to cover the area I DON'T want paint to go!!!!MASKING TAPE to the RESCUE!!! I also use it to cover my area for my chalkboardMASKING TAPE to the RESCUE!!! I also use it to cover my area for my chalkboardI cover the edges so they're in line with the sidesI cover the edges so they're in line with the sidesI want to keep the look of the wood where the tape is being covered AND I want a nice clean cut on my shapeI want to keep the look of the wood where the tape is being covered AND I want a nice clean cut on my shapeEXTRA COVER!!!EXTRA COVER!!!But not too clean - Paw Paw-ing my edges still for that "rustic" charmBut not too clean - Paw Paw-ing my edges still for that "rustic" charm

11. PAINT - STENCIL & CHALKBOARD

I paint my stencil in a mix of gold paint and spray paintI paint my stencil in a mix of gold paint and spray paintshort dabbing strokes help prevent bleed throughshort dabbing strokes help prevent bleed throughBUT don't use too much paint - that also bleeds through! whoops!BUT don't use too much paint - that also bleeds through! whoops!For extra shine I also used gold spray paintFor extra shine I also used gold spray paint

With a short fat brush dab gold paint gently over the stencil. I also used gold spray paint to really bring the colour home! 

Bit of off spray but it's ok because I'll be painting over it!Bit of off spray but it's ok because I'll be painting over it!

Then to make my chalk board, again I pick up my ever-handy masking tape and I make a RECTANGLE so I have a nice, even, CLEAN backdrop!  1st layer 1:1 sealer and chalk paint1st layer 1:1 sealer and chalk paintFirst layer I mixed 1:1 sealant Boyle by Leni – dishwasher and waterproof – with chalkboard paint 2nd Layer just chalk paint!2nd Layer just chalk paint!

- Wanted some kind of protection on the board and I wasn’t sure if applying a top coat would effect the chalkboard paint or not 

2nd layer (after letting it COMPLETELY dry) I used just chalkboard paint

Once it's all DRY - peel off the stencil and masking tape to reveal the magic!Once its DRY - peel off the stencil and masking tapeOnce its DRY - peel off the stencil and masking tape

Take out those inner bits with a pair of tweezersTake out those inner bits with a pair of tweezersthen hopefully it will look like this!then hopefully it will look like this!NB: I sanded back the corners of the rectangle a wee bit where I applied the Paw Paw – For my rustic vibe I didn’t want them too clean cut!NB: I sanded back the corners of the rectangle a wee bit where I applied the Paw Paw – For my rustic vibe I didn’t want them too clean cut!

12. FINISH 

PXL_20220712_042232070.MP.jpgUse a CLEAN bristle brush - don't want clumps and dirty bristles on your glossy clean finish!Use a CLEAN bristle brush - don't want clumps and dirty bristles on your glossy clean finish!

So... now I have my gorgeous stain, glowing stencil AND antique chalk board, I want to make sure it won’t all rot away – remember it will have plants in it!!!  I used Integrain EXTERIOR Ultra Clear finish - a non-yellowing, water resistant, polyurethane finish in GLOSS – for that extra je ne se qui! Plus - even though it’s meant to look "old", it should feel young too! 

*CURE for 24hrs at least before planting 

Q: do I put a finish over the chalkboard paint? I did …. but ONLY in the corners where I did my Paw Paw trick and had sanded it back – whether it’s the ebony stain underneath or the finish, I’m not sure, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the deep shadow effect!!! EXACTLY what I was going for!!!! [FYI: I found the finish doesn't like the chalk and vice versa so I recommend NOT applying finish onto your chalkboard]

13. CONDITION CHALK 

In my research re: to finish or not to finish on chalkboard paint? I found out about “conditioning” chalk from The Spruce crafts - How to Paint Using Chalkboard Paint. Be sure not to scratch the paint with the chalk - like I did - use the SIDE of the chalk NOT the END. The article says "edge of a chalk stick". Aiming for a freshly dusted chalkboard look 

DO NOT use the end - it will scratch!DO NOT use the end - it will scratch!Use the SIDE...Use the SIDE...and rub over the chalkboardand rub over the chalkboardAiming for a chalky-dustAiming for a chalky-dustWith a clean cloth rub the chalk in/outWith a clean cloth rub the chalk in/out"blend" the chalk into the board"blend" the chalk into the boardCompare the Pair - Left side blended - Right side with chalkCompare the Pair - Left side blended - Right side with chalkWhere my finish is on the edges the chalk doesn't seem to "grab"Where my finish is on the edges the chalk doesn't seem to "grab"Chalk conditioning - done!Chalk conditioning - done!

Which brings us to... 

Mmm smell that basil!!! Definitely "aromatiques"Mmm smell that basil!!! Definitely "aromatiques"

14. PLANTING the "herbes"

Mum chose her own "herbes" Herbs + Potting Mix + PlanterHerbs + Potting Mix + PlanterMum's choices: Curly Parsley, thyme, oregano and basiI.Mum's choices: Curly Parsley, thyme, oregano and basiI.

– it is KRISTEN’s "jardin" after all!!! 

Uhoh...Uhoh...Uhoh...Uhoh...UHOH!!!!UHOH!!!!

After fending off the buns, I arrange and plant my herbs...  

Once they're all soiled and 'pot' in together 😂 - give them a good drink of water... 👇To see me in action watch the video👇

NB: Condition the chalkboard and write their names AFTER you've watered them - otherwise you're writing will come off 🙊  

All's left to do now is give it to Mum!!! Or do I wait for Christmas?

Just kidding!!!! But I did make her wait till I posted this …

💞LOVE YOU MUM💞  

TADAAAAA!!!!!!TADAAAAA!!!!!!I hope Mum likes it!I hope Mum likes it!I know some BUNNY does!I know some BUNNY does!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mama's French-inspired Herb Garden Planter Box #DIYJULY

Love your work @ehill! Another fantastic project which I trust you are proud of.

It's always fabulous when you can use the same design for multiple projects. There are likely several other uses for something like this. Perhaps you could leave the front face off and create a nifty brush holder?

I can't wait to see your next project as your D.I.Y. skills are progressing exceptionally quickly.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dimsim
Finding My Feet

Re: Mama's French-inspired herb garden planter box

This herb box is amazing! I love the added french touch. I bet your mum loved it!

Well done @ehill 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dimsim. It's sensational to have you join us and fantastic to see you've enjoyed this wonderful project.

Would you be interested in building something like this yourself? I trust @ehill and our helpful community members will be full of advice and encouragement.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Re: Mama's French-inspired Herb Garden Planter Box #DIYJULY

Oh cleveeeer @MitchellMc !!! I could make a MAKE-UP brush HOLDER!!!!! Soooo many possiblities!!! 

May I ask a few questions: 

1. How did you make the above graphic - is it with CAD? I'm not the best at drawing squares and my proportions are always out of whack! 

2. How would I make those side parts? Would I draw my line and use a jigsaw or a saw? If I don't have those all tools, so how could I adjust a plan to suit the tools that I have?

I chose an old dresser top made from pine and with a beveled(?) edgeI chose an old dresser top made from pine and with a beveled(?) edge

• *I did a "make a platter" class on Wednesday at the Women's Shed (pictured). I used a saw, a spoke shave, a hand plane, a surform plane and a file to create a twin shape from a piece of wood off an old dresser (Pictured). 

I'm going to plane down my excess bits to join the two pieces of wood and then I'll add some handles!I'm going to plane down my excess bits to join the two pieces of wood and then I'll add some handles!I cut him in two with a saw - and used a planer, surform, file etc to get my shapesI cut him in two with a saw - and used a planer, surform, file etc to get my shapes

But all those tools are owned by the Women's Shed and I don't have much... I've borrowed where I can because a. tools are spensy and b. there's a lot out there so before I commit to a tool I'd like to try it out first!

3. How did you make the groove in the front? The one holding the brush lying vertical? 

4. To make the brush holder holes do I use a hole saw bit on my drill? How would I determine which size to use - would I trial a few and stick my brushes in? 

and finally... (sorry) 

5. Once I have a design plan, like the one you posted above, how do I go about making my calculations and measurements? Especially for the brush holders and getting the diameters of the holes equally apart and wide enough so as not to hit each other? 

Thank you again for sharing! GREAT ideas - keep 'em coming!!!! 

🤗

ehill
Having an Impact

Thanks @Dimsim I gave it to her on the weekend! Photos to come! #watchthisspace

I'd love to see what you make - please share! And I hope my instructions make sense!

Don't be afraid to ask me a question! I'm more than happy to help 😃

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ehill,

I use Tinkercad to make my designs. It was actually built for school children to use so they can create designs for 3D prints. Very easy to learn compared to proper 3D modelling software.

The best way to create the sides would be with a jigsaw. I use a very budget-friendly XU1 jigsaw, which does everything I need. The more premium versions are great to have, but functionally-wise, it does the job. I was actually using it just yesterday whilst building my little warrior princess a shield to defend herself from monsters.

To make a groove like the one holding the brush at the front, you'd use a router and a rounded bit. Alternatively, you could wrap some sandpaper around something cylindrical and sand the groove into it.

I think you'll find even the smallest holesaw bit to be too large for a brush. I'd suggest using standard bits that are slightly thinner than your brushes.

For the plan, you can use the Tinkercad program. However, I'd just build the unit in a size you like and then map out where the brushes are to go. Measure the width, divide it by the number of brushes you want it to hold, and then perhaps make a template to suit.

It's an absolute joy to see you so enthused about D.I.Y., and I hope my response answers some of your questions. 

Mitchell

Shield1.jpgShield2.jpg

What an impressive shield! You're a Knight in shining armor @MitchellMc with one lucky warrior princess!!! 

I think you've summed up why I'm so eager to learn how to d.i.y - I want to be able to make things for the people I love around me!

I get a lot of my creativity from my Mum and my more structural, technical side comes from my Dad - an engineer! Plus, as a model I find that I'm influenced not so much by trends but by features and things that stand out or have a practical purpose! 

And I love that when I make something it feels so good to have done it myself! Even if things don't always go to plan 🙄

I think you'll like my last DIY JULY I'm about to post!! Once I'm finished posting I'm eager to have a crack at the brush holder!!!

ehill
Having an Impact

It's OFFICIAL...It's OFFICIAL...I am ...I am ...the FAVOURITE!!!the FAVOURITE!!!<3 you Mum!!!❤️ you Mum!!! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects