Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Monstera grows wild

vr00mm
Growing in Experience

Monstera grows wild

Hi

20220108_091845.jpg

20220108_091838.jpg

 Hello

I purchased 2 tiny  monsteras from Bunnings 1 year ago, and happy to see them grow. However, they seem to grow upwards. I am not much of a gardener so i am unsure if I should cut some of the branches and replant them in the water in the same pot. I am after an advise about this. Thank you. :smile:

20220108_091834.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Monstera grows wild

Hi @vr00mm,

It would be great to hear a bit more detail about what your concerns are here so we could better assist. The plants appear as they should for water grown Monstera. They do look a little undernourished and could benefit from some fertiliser for water grown plants. You could make up a very weak solution of water-soluble fertiliser and apply it every couple of months. 

Monstera are upward growing plants and will seek out light if it is lacking. You'd only cut branches and replant them if you wanted to. If not, just enjoy the plants.

How often are you changing the water? It should be done at least once a week.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vr00mm
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell

I actually water it with the fertiliser. I use Scotts Osmocote 236ml.

From Bunnings. How should I use this fertiliser? As maybe i have been doing it incorrectly. I just use one pump and left it. Is this correct?

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

According to the application rate on the packaging @vr00mm, it is "5 pumps per 500ml of water". So, if anything, it sounds like you might be under-doing it. However, I have Monstera growing in just water, and it's doing fine. 

How often do you change the water and apply one pump of fertiliser?

This might be a lack of sunlight issue or potentially too much. Don't go putting them out in direct sunlight, though. Do they see any direct sunlight coming through that window?

Mitchell

vr00mm
Growing in Experience

Hi

I put it in a very well lit area. No direct sunlight.

Yes maybe i need to use 5 pumps or 10 pumps?

I clean it once a week. :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Interesting @vr00mm.

The application rate depends on the amount of water contained in the vase. Five pumps for 500ml or ten pumps for one litre.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Let me mention @Noelle, one of our experienced horticulturists, to see if she has any ideas.

Mitchell

Hi @vr00mm 

Your monstera is doing well but have to agree with Mitchell that it is looking a little pale so would benefit from a bit more fertiliser. While the bottle says 5 pumps for 500ml or 10 pumps for a litre, I tend to think that 5 pumps into your current bowl would be enough. If you use too much and the plant isn't using it all, the water could become green, even in a week. Try adding 5 pumps every time you change the water and clean the bowel, and see how you go.

Monsteras usually grow upright as yours is, until they get very big and top heavy, when they will tend to bend more.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects