Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mystery holes in lawn

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Mystery holes in lawn

MysteryHoles.jpg

Hi Garden Gurus,

Some mystery holes recently appeared on my front lawn which I have never seen before and I'm stumped as to what has caused them...

There are about 20 holes randomly spaced across the lawn...

They are about 4" in diam ( not even..obviously dug by an animals feet) and only about 4" or 5" deep..

Anyone have any idea what might be doing this?

I live on a hill overlooking the River Murray.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mystery Holes

Welcome to the Workshop community @Cobra. I'm sorry to hear about your issue.

Echidnas are most active in the lead-up to their winter mating period which is why you might be seeing more activity recently. The use of blood and bone products have been successful in deterring a range of native wildlife from gardens in the past, so it might be worthwhile spreading some over the area.

I note you are calling the area a "lawn" if that is the desired purpose consideration should be made as to whether the echidnas are actually damaging it. They look like they are doing a wonderful job of aerating the soil for you and this can be used to your advantage. If you spread a generous coating of Hortico 25l Lawn Top Dress Mix over the holes it will provide a great growing medium for the lawn and infill the holes at the same time. You can then apply an organic fertiliser like Yates 7kg Dynamic Lifter Concentrated Lawn Food (which contains blood and bone) to see some really substantial growth and potentially discourage them enough to find another area to dig in.

If you were interested I would encourage you to start your own discussion so more community members are aware of your question.

If you need further assistance or have other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects