Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pool pole lopper

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Pool pole lopper

Trees are getting higher and it's getting harder for me on a ladder, so I tried attaching an inexpensive lopper/saw onto a pool pole.

Then added extra rope. I estimate the reach with the feet on the ground is around 7 metres.

With a 25mm pipe connection piece, bolt and wingnut the cutting part fits at the handle end of the pole.

One issue is if you attempt to cut too big a diameter branch with the pruning scissor - it's like trying to land a Marlin with the pole bending. Otherwise working well so far.

20201124_093750.jpg20201124_093853.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pool Pole Lopper

Love your work, @Noyade. However, please remember there's no shame in calling in professionals for tricky situations. Working from a height on ladders is always extremely dangerous, and there's nothing worth risking your safety over.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell.

Many thanks for your concern for my safety Mitchell, it is genuinely appreciated. 👍

But as they say in the Hollywood disaster movies - "the worst is over!"

I experimented with my A-frame ladder and my 3 metre chainsaw/pole today.

No issues accessing the height, much safer than yesterday and I cleaned away the area for the next lopping.

Unfortunately my green waste bin is already full - so they have a reprieve till Thursday.

Cheers!

20220710_152131.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

One of the Pool Pole Loppers had a pruning saw on it.

I'm now trying an old Bahco hand saw instead. Became very fiddly to fit. Gonna try it when the rain stops...

20220805_135614.jpg

20220805_150446.jpg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Wow @Noyade that's something to be wary of those lines make sure any contact with them your straight onto your energy supplier they will have no issue coming out to make it safe.

Keep safe buddy 🙏 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Carl @CSParnell 

I invited Essential Energy to lop the branches and they came out to look, but in the end they told me it wasn't their concern. They made it clear they only appear once a year to make sure nothing is "close" to the line. I'm not sure how close, close is, but I asked if I cut a branch and it damages the line will I be financially responsible for any damage/repair from them.

"Yes."

"they will have no issue coming out to make it safe."

There was no mention of them making the line safe for me - ?

Anyway - the tree is now down.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Yeah I'm not so up on the rules on that side of things and I'm not even sure if it's available like the metering manual is. I guess they will have their protocols but good that you took the time to take the right steps and seek the advice first certainly for anyone that is inexperienced in this kind of thing especially around electrical lines always consult a qualified arbourist to carry out the works for you.

Glad the job is done and dusted time for another beer.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects