Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pool pole lopper

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Pool pole lopper

Trees are getting higher and it's getting harder for me on a ladder, so I tried attaching an inexpensive lopper/saw onto a pool pole.

Then added extra rope. I estimate the reach with the feet on the ground is around 7 metres.

With a 25mm pipe connection piece, bolt and wingnut the cutting part fits at the handle end of the pole.

One issue is if you attempt to cut too big a diameter branch with the pruning scissor - it's like trying to land a Marlin with the pole bending. Otherwise working well so far.

20201124_093750.jpg20201124_093853.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pool Pole Lopper

Hi @Noyade,

What is that old adage, necessity is the mother of all invention or something like that? It's always safer to work from the ground than a ladder and I commend you on your ingenuity. As someone that had their first fall off a ladder last year, I can say it's certainly made me much more cautious than I was before. It was only a couple of meters and it was my fault for using a damaged ladder but it was still frightening.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

"It's always safer to work from the ground than a ladder"

Agreed Mitchell - but unfortunately a tree (Eucalyptus?) in my front yard is now beyond this pole approach. It becomes very difficult, physically, when the branch is greater then 80 mm in diameter to use this method. Due to recent ill health these branches have grown beyond what I normally limit them to.

Compounding the problem is the natural lie of one particular branch in relation to gravity and cut placement. If I cut at the base it will fall on the power line to the house - no doubt about it.

Today I tried to rectify that - as the weather improved this afternoon.

This is the branch - the photo doesn't really show the lean to the west...

20220709_141549.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

First step was a big breakfast lunch to build up energy and courage. Yes Mitchell, I included snags.

20220709_125900.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

With placement of my Bunnings Gorilla extension ladder - I cut (handsaw) the branch just below it, which was impeding access.

20220709_143913.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

We're about 10 metres up, not looking down and regretting a big lunch - I kept thinking how much Cricroid pressure the anaesthetist will need to overcome my full stomach - on the operating table.

I managed to tie a rope about a metre above the branch in question from its base.

Down the ladder.

And connect this rope to another tree.

20220709_135007.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Then with Bonanza rope throwing finesse - toss another rope over the stretched one - between branch and tree.

20220709_135732.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Connect that rope to a large weight - midway. This weight, I was told as a kid, is a farmer's sheep carcass counter-weight (connected to a pulley system) for slicing and dicing.

Probably fiction.

This now places stress on the branch - in the direction I want it to fall.

20220709_140113.jpg

20220709_140405.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Up the ladder again with a handsaw.

Slowly cut the branch at the base.

At the precise moment I hear a creak or a crack - descend the ladder.

Already with the weight - the fissure is opening.

Back on the ground - by pulling on the rope 90 degrees to the weight - down comes the branch - away from me.

20220709_143913.jpg

20220709_144159.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

The remaining branches I will attack piecemeal over the coming weeks.

Cutting them at their bases - they will fall naturally to the east - away from the power line.

For these I'll use an A-frame ladder and a chainsaw on a pole.

Then I will reduce the trunk height.

Cheers.

20220709_164650.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects