Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Privacy hedge using wire to grow creeper

ozpaws
Finding My Feet

Privacy hedge using wire to grow creeper

Hi I have just moved into a new house and have an easement down one side of my house.  I want to grow a living hedge for more privacy as there is only a low wall and because of heritage restrictions I thought I would grow a hedge which is allowed.  I had an idea of using stakes with wire and planter boxes with something like Jasmine to trail up and along the wire.  Have you ever done anything like this?  Any suggestions would be welcomed.  Thank you 😁

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Privacy hedge using wire to grow creeper

Hi @ozpaws,

A very warm welcome to Workshop. 

I trust our wonderful community members will have some suggestions for you, but in the meantime you might like to gather some information from previous Workshop discussions about plants to use as screening. Here are some popular examples:

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Have you seen this @ozpaws - Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence by @royq 

Thank you Jason, I had a good look at those posts they are interesting.  I am interested in how to do the wire fencing.  If I use fence stakes would I need to put them in a bit of concrete in the ground for stability?  I am a single woman so apologies haven't used concrete before.  I am very handy and will have a go at anything but just need a bit of guidance. 

I was thinking of using three or four wire strands between the posts then grown the climber up the posts and along the wire to create a natural hedge.  I have a nosy neighbour and living in a heritage listed area I cannot just put up a fence.  I will post some photos when I go home today.  Thank you for all your help.

Yes that looks lovely but I don't have a fence at all just a low brick wall along the side of the house with a culver so no dirt.  I was going to put planter boxes with stakes in them so grow a wire hedge. Here is a diIMG_6042.jpgagram. Hope it helps.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects