Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Privacy screening

katita
Growing in Experience

Privacy screening

20191123_114153.jpg

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice for some fast screening to block out the neighbour's kitchen window and an ugly fence.(please see photos)

Apologies in advance for the essay! :smile:

The initial area we need screened would be approx 2m × 2m & the garden bed 770 x 85cm. Ultimately we'd like to screen the whole fence but happy with just blocking the area in front of the window first. Our elderly male neighbour tends to want to see what I'm doing every time I am in the yard which is wearing thin and we also have direct line of sight from our kitchen window to his. (That green shadecloth is on his side of the fence).

We have considered (smaller)Lilly Pilly's or Murraya for a narrow hedge or putting in a Hardenbergia climber with trellises/plant supports in the middle of the bed (as the fence isn't high enough and also very long in the tooth but we cant afford to replace the fence right now) and also to allow easier management or pruning of the climber. The area we want screened asap is ground level for about 1.5m then there's a slightly raised bed along the remainder of the fence.

The fence runs North - South and the plants would be facing East so would get some morning and midday sun. The entertaining area roof means the bed is partly shaded for some of the day, more in winter(?) We are near Newcastle in NSW.

(We've only been here a year and the previous owners left all those pots in the photos.)

Thankyou for reading this far :smile:

20191123_114138.jpg

20191123_114225.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Privacy screening

Hi @katita,

A very warm welcome to Workshop. You've come to the right place! I'm sure our ever-helpful community will have plenty of ideas and inspiration for you. 

I'd recommend you start by taking a look at our Top 10 most popular fence projects as it contains loads of fantastic ideas. 

There are some other previous discussions that you should also find useful, including:

Let me also tag some wonderful members such as @robchin@Noelle and @Adam_W who might like to share their thoughts on the plants you are thinking about using.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
katita
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the welcome @Jason, and the links to helpful posts. I have done a bit of reading already but hadn't seen a few you listed.

MikeM84
Building a Reputation

You can always put plastic, canvas bamboo screening.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/landscaping/garden-screen

the link is from bunnings, where you can purchase, wooden, plastic, canvas, bamboo, metal screenings.

I would suggest canvas type, you can mount with multiple ways, I used it at my old place to block out sun and UV, it would be same aisle as the sail shades.

katita
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your advice @MikeM84, I really like the look of the bamboo screens.

The other day I tried finding sail shades but no luck and was short on time. I must get down to my local shop again and hunt down both them and the bamboo screens for a closer look.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @katita,

If you'd like to check out the range online, the link is https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/outdoor-living/outdoor-shade/shade-sails

Jason

MikeM84
Building a Reputation

Your welcome, once you see the mesh material, you will know the type I mean:) easy to hang as well, bamboo is great

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @katita 

Any plants you put in for screening are going to take some time to grow tall enough to  give you the result you want. Even if you were to put in trellising (free standing so it wouldn't interfere with the fence replacement) and grow climbers, it would still be some time before you were able to have enough greenery to give you privacy and prevent your neighbour being able to watch your every move!

The idea of shade sails or artificial bamboo screening in the short term is a good one.

Long term, after the fence has been replaced, I'd look at putting up a substantial trellis along the entire length - concretors' reo/reinforcing mesh) is ideal - and training climbers over it. Star Jasmine, Potato Vine and any other fast growing climbers would be ideal. Regular trimming will keep them neat and still allow you access to the narrow passageway between house and fence.

katita
Growing in Experience

Thanks for that link @Jason!

Yep, got down to my local shop today @MikeM84 and really liked the look of the bamboo slat screening and bamboo canvas so got both :smile:
I thought the screening might not be dense enough so got canvas to attach behind. But we may need to create a frame for strength as well. I'll have to wait to work with it to see if both are needed when my partner has his holidays at the end of the week & can help me.
These are the items I picked up today:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/eden-1-8-x-3-0m-bamboo-shade-cloth-screen-fencing_p3041179

https://www.bunnings.com.au/eden-1-8-x-3-0m-bamboo-shade-cloth-screen-fencing_p3041179

Thanks very much for your advice, @Noelle. I agree that hedging will be too slow for the immediacy I need and that climbers will be better suited due to the narrowness of the left side of that area....as well as the close proximity of the roof of the entertaining area.

I hope to post photo's once we complete the project.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing your photos @katita. Feel free to post again in the meantime if you need anything.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects