Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Reviews wanted for Homelite Petrol Leaf Blower/Vac

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Reviews wanted for Homelite Petrol Leaf Blower/Vac

Has anyone here purchased/using this Homelite petrol blower/vac ?

20230210_155538.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Homelite Petrol Leaf Blower/Vac

Hi @Noyade,

This Homelite 26cc Petrol 2 Stroke Blower Vac hasn't changed drastically in the past ten years. I'm very familiar with it and have used it many times. If you have any questions about it, I'd be more than happy to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Good morning Mitchell @MitchellMc 

I bought this on Friday afternoon - despite mostly negative reviews on the Bunnings web site and only a 2.5 star rating.

To cut a long story short there were a number of issues with it which I believed I could live with and I managed to start it with minimal effort, but further starts became troublesome and then impossible.

After the engine was hot - I turned it off and tried a hot start. This proved to be very difficult.

So I left it for two hours to cool down and tried a cold start, but there was no may this machine was gonna start.

I gave up that evening, repackaged it, went to Bunnings and spoke with the garden appliance staff member.

He reassembled it and following the instructions - failed to start it.

Refunded.

When I got home I re-read the reviews and one person said the only way they could get this started was to squeeze the trigger fully THEN pull the cord. I couldn't see this in the instruction book. If it had a Ryobi style cruise control you could set this up but despite the web page saying it has one  - I couldn't see it?

Rubbish.PNG

Nor could Larz...

Larz.PNG

But thinking about this - was I too hasty in returning the appliance?

Should I have tried the "full throttle" method?

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

There's a good chance you've come across a defective unit. In my experience, if the start-up procedure is followed exactly, whether the machine is hot or cold, it will start the first time every time. In almost all the units I assessed over the years, 99% of start-up failures were because the choke was not turned from full to half after a few pulls of the cord. If left on full, it will flood the engine, and the only way you'll get it started then is to pull the trigger, which disengages the choke and then pull the cord several times. You'll find that the machine likely will fire up and run during this clearing procedure if you're holding the trigger down. If you're not holding the trigger down, it will combust the fuel in the cylinder and stop. I suspect that's what has happened with the reviewer. They're flooding the engine by not turning off the full choke when starting and then managing to start the engine by holding the trigger whilst pulling the cord. Both of these methods will start the engine; it's just better practice to turn the choke to half when starting.

From memory, I believe the start-up procedure is prime by pressing the bulb three times, selecting full choke, pulling the cord three times, selecting half choke and then pulling to start. Mind you, it's been a good ten+ years since I ran a Power Gardening section. I can't remember the exact procedure for a hot start, but instinctively, if the machine has just been running, I'd be pulling the trigger and pulling the cord. It should start right up.

If the machine was functioning correctly, I have no doubt that you'd find starting it a breeze. The team member not being able to start it is also a good indication that it was faulty. You do come across faulty units from time to time, but they are typically reliable and budget-friendly machines that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase myself.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

G'day Mitchell. @MitchellMc 

Thanks for your post above!

"There's a good chance you've come across a defective unit"

Quite possibly. But what do they say - one door closes and another opens. In the end I googled "cheapest petrol blower in town"

And I bought it - $95.

If you're interested - I'll let you know how it goes. 😁

Cheers!

20230212_161515.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects