Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

URGENT: Someone with experience in chick raising

Juliapinkiepie
Building a Reputation

URGENT: Someone with experience in chick raising

I know this isn't a farming forum but chicks have just hatched in my new place.
One has been attacked and has a head wound. Some may say it's just nature but I'm not a farmer, I'm an animal lover

I've currently got her wrapped up in the sleeve of my jumper to keep her warm but I'm worried about how to get water into her without a water dropper
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: URGENT: Someone with experience in chick raising

Sorry to read that @Juliapinkiepie. Hopefully one of our Workshop members with chickens can help. Perhaps @Darren@Blawson or @timjeffries? Or give the local vet a call?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Juliapinkiepie
Building a Reputation

2 stressful hours latter Henry or Henrietta is still alive. I've made a makeshift home in box lined with a towl. She's managing to drink water from a soft drink lid.

My next 2 concerns are how to feed her and should I attempt to clean the dried blood off her.
I'm a lot calmer now :smile:

I am a bit late seeing this but chicken starter is the food to use, it is a small crumble that they will pick at on their own.
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I hope the little chick is okay @Juliapinkiepie. It takes me back to high school when we had to raise one for a few weeks.

EmmaBourke
Getting Established

You can buy chicken starter from your pet store that will give them everything they need. Just buy a shallow dish to put some water in, like the dish you put under pot plants. Do you have a hen or have you hatched them yourself?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is the chick @Juliapinkiepie?

I hope it's recovering well. 

Jason

Juliapinkiepie
Building a Reputation

Unfortunately Heady the hen didn't last the night. I just couldn't keep her warm enough, I tries everything short putting her into bed with me.
Ive asked the landlord to supply me with everything I need of the event arises again. They are her chicken's and she gave me no info or training :unhappy:

Sorry to read that @Juliapinkiepie. I'm sure you did everything you could.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects