Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What hedge is suitable for area with no/minimal sun?

griffo26
Finding My Feet

What hedge is suitable for area with no/minimal sun?

Hi,

I have a terrace with a small strip of garden bed however as I'm on the ground floor between 2 buildings ths area gets very little sun.

What is the best hedge to plant here?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What hedge is suitable for area with no/minimal sun?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @griffo26. We're pleased to have you join us.

Apologies for the slow reply. One of our resident D.I.Y. experts in Mitch has had to unexpectedly take some time off to be with his family.

I would be happy to tag some other members who would be happy to assist, but think they might need a little more information from you. Firstly, where are you based? Secondly, exactly how big is this garden bed? Some photos might also help members to see what you are working with. 

You might also get some suggestions from the advice shared in the article What plants are suitable for a hedge? 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hedge suitable for area with no/minimal sun

Hi @griffo26 

Thanks for sharing your question about your proposed hedge area. Technically there are ways and means to place a hedge in that area. I propose planting them in barrels with flat plant stands that have wheels on them so that they can be re-positioned when the sun is high. 

In order to give our members a chance to assess the spot, would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of the area? We'll be able to see the condition of the soil, how big the planting area is and how shady the spot really is. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Eric

PXL_20231202_234404483.jpg

 here is the area I'm looking at

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How do you feel about bamboo @griffo26? It would make the perfect screening plant in that location. Suitable for low light situations and able to grow in such close confines.

Have a look at these helpful guides: How to plant a clumping bamboo hedge and How to select and grow clumping bamboo.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered bamboo, however I am still set on finding a suitable hedge.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What hedge is suitable for area with no/minimal sun?

Hello @griffo26,

Have you had a look at the guide How to choose a hedging plant by horticulturalist @Adam_W? It contains handy tips that might come in useful as you select a hedging plant for your area.

Let me also call upon our garden experts @Noelle and @mich1972 for their thoughts.

Akanksha

Good morning @griffo26 

For a more shaded spot you could grow : 

Gardenias

Azaleas

Camellias

You could make a climbing frame and grow Stephanotis on it, that’s a beautiful climbing plant for shade and also fragrant. 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects