Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What pest is eating my tomato seedling?

jenahakchew
Cultivating a Following

What pest is eating my tomato seedling?

I planted tomato seedlings about a month ago.

IMG_20231011_132316.jpg

The plants were bought from Bunnings and something has been chewing up the leaves leaving bare stems. Someone at a nearby nursery said it may be snails,slugs or some nocturnal insects, or even a possum? Attaching some photos and appreciate any advise. Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pest on Tomato Seedling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jenahakchew. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about garden pests.

The advice you received sounds about right, as it could have been any one of those that turned your tomato seedling into a tasty snack. If this was done in one night, then I suspect it would be a possum. You might like to check out some of our budget-friendly greenhouses, as even in a small one, you could raise the seedlings to a reasonable size whilst protecting them. You could also install some garden stakes around your garden bed and drape bird netting over them. Make sure to pin the bottom of the netting to the ground with pegs. When accessing the plants, simply fold back the bird netting.

The possums are likely after the tender new growth, and once the seedlings develop further, they will be less likely to snack on them.

Here's a helpful guide on Four ways to protect plants from possums and our ever-popular discussion on Your tips for keeping possums away. There's also a Best Advice article on How do you keep possums away?.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jenahakchew
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell for your useful information. I'll digest all the advise and see what's best going forward. Looks like too late to save my tomato seedlings but out of desperation rigged up a cage using some left over gutter netting over my cucumber and chilli seedlings till I figure out a better way.. 😅

IMG_20231015_111502.jpg

basil is also a great plant to plant next to your tomatos also, i also use rosemary water aswell to repel unwanted bugs too.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @leah94. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

I'm sure @jenahakchew appreciates your helpful advice. Could you tell us more about your rosemary water and how it is made? I trust our keen gardening members will be interested to know.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out whenever you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
leah94
Getting Established

hi again

i usually pick fresh rosemary from the garden, give it a wash before boiling it in a pot of water,

as i also use this great herb for hair aswell too,

it can really depend on the ratio of rosemary you have for rosemary water,

i hope that helps, it does also linger for a few days if spraying around vegetables in a greenhouse

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects