Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's wrong with my Tomato plants?

Junior Contributor

What's wrong with my Tomato plants?

I've got couple of young tomato plants from bunnings. Planted in ground around 2 to 3 weeks ago with little fertilizer, blood and bone. Applied seasol once a week so far.

Couple of branches are not greenish, looks yellow and I think some bug attack. 

Melbourne weather is not great in the last week or so, to think about sunny.  Any ideas and suggestions please ?

432b2f37-8e16-40a5-8bc3-88e4ee87e849.jpg1c81ffe4-1126-4eaa-9f4c-7c772002843c.jpg6170a07d-dca9-4474-baa1-2460f6939d8e.jpg

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What's wrong with my Tomato plants?

Hi @ppp,

Let me tag some of our keen gardeners in @Grub80@Noelle, @timjeffries@bergs and @robchin who might like to share their thoughts on your tomato plants.

I take it you haven't found any critters on your plants?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Junior Contributor

Thank you Jason for your care & time.

I did not find any critters. But I will have a thorough look and update if anything.

Super Contributor

Hi ppp

I take it from the photos that the "damaged" leaves are on the base of the plant, close to the soil? If so, what you are seeing is not uncommon - the lower leaves tend to yellow and die off as the plant increases in height and produces lots of lush new growth higher up. Usually nipping these lower leaves off is appropriate especially if marked or yellowing. I wouldn't be too concerned at present seeing the rest of the plant looks healthy enough.
Established Contributor

Hi PPP.
I love growing Tomatoes. One of the questions I always ask is - do my problems really matter? If I have a few holes in the leaves (where some insect has had a feed) and a few yellow leaves - does it really matter?
Yellow leaves like that are normally the sign of a nutrient problem. Looks like it's only on the older leaves though so unless it's all over I wouldn't be worried about it.
If you have them in full sun and you keep the fertiliser up to them - these little problems won't cause you long term stress.
Final bits of advice: Don't water the foliage - water the soil to prevent humidity and leaf problems and companion planting is good - try planting some Marigolds or other insect antagonistic plants in the same area.
Junior Contributor

Thank you both Noelle and Robchin for your suggestions. I've learned something new now.
Relaxed and hoping for great sunny weather :smile: :):)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects