Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which leg support should I choose for my wine barrel planter?

jollyyau
Finding My Feet

Which leg support should I choose for my wine barrel planter?

5CEFE372-7E2B-4405-ADAC-98AFFC09D640.jpeg

Hi everyone! I’m new to the community :laugh: I'd love to hear what you think about my barrel planter with legs project

Basically....

I wanna make my wine barrel into a garden bed thats elevated 50cm from the ground. I googled options online and there are a number of ways to fix legs onto the barrel and I don't know the pros & cons for any of them!

The planter will be very heavy as it will be filled with soil (estimate 150-200kgs) so I wonder which type of support works best?? I drew up some options below

23C0B1C7-C544-4113-AFE0-83B4364712D7.jpeg

8F1BD20A-2E7E-42E3-B711-5396C42319D7.jpeg

361BCD9E-597C-43EB-8405-E22183FF5869.jpeg

This is my wine barrel:

AF6B9088-2A0B-497B-AB49-AC53541CB3D8.jpeg

I have a bunch of wood but I have no idea what type of wood they are. The longest one is like 4m but most of them are narrow (5cm width). 

In terms of tools, I have a mitre saw and jigsaw, L brackets, clamps and wood glue. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which leg support should I choose for my wine barrel planter?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jollyyau. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I'd strongly suggest you pick a leg design that supports the base insert of the barrel.  The base is only held in with a pressure fit enabled by the strapping. If you leave the base unsupported, it might fall out over time because of the soil weight. 

I'd suggest a design like the one I have copied below would be the most suitable. From a design perspective, I like the legs on the outside but am concerned about how they'll go supporting the weight.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Which leg support should I choose for my wine barrel planter?

I like this one (from above) - looks like you could shop around for a second hand wooden stool and simply chop it in half and adapt it to fit the base?

Stool.PNG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects