Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are my Peace Lilly leaves turning yellow?

vr00mm
Growing in Experience

Why are my Peace Lilly leaves turning yellow?

Hi

I bought this lovely mega peace lily plant from Bunnings and it stayed beautiful for about 4 months but then the leafs started to change colours.

Can you tell me why this is the case and how I may prevent it next time?

20230129_105057.jpg

20230129_105055.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: why the leafs turn yellow?

Hi @vr00mm,

Diagnosing issues with plants is extremely difficult, even when you know every detail surrounding the care of the plant. If you could please let our helpful members know a bit about the plant's care, it would go a long way to assist in determining what might be the issue. Let's start with how much direct light the plant is getting. Where do you have it positioned, and how much sunlight does it receive per day? Is it near a window? Does it receive direct sunlight or indirect light?

How much do you water the plant? Please be quite specific with the timing and the amount.

Have you fertilised the plant since you got it?

Some general rules are that a peace lilies needs at least strong indirect light from a window. You must water at least once a week and saturate the soil or water when the soil begins to dry out. You will need to fertilise the plant at some stage, and by four months it's likely due for some indoor plant fertiliser.

Without specific details and only going off the look of the plant, I suspect that it's not receiving an adequate amount of light and you're not watering enough. The pot it is in is very small and likely the one you purchased it in. You need to increase the size to provide more room for the roots and help retain moisture. Shop around and find the largest black plastic pot that will fit inside your aesthetical outer pot. You might be able to go one size larger, and you can trim the rim off the pot if needed. 

You need to water when the top couple of centimetres of soil dry out. My advice would be to take it out of the aesthetical outer pot and place the inner pot into your sink once a week. Run water into the pot until it overflows, and then allow it to drain into your sink. Once it has drained, return the plant and pot to the outer white pot. Also, find a position that receives at least in-direct light through a window. Peace lilies will survive for some time without adequate light, but then they'll take a sudden turn for the worse. I've done this myself.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vr00mm
Growing in Experience

Re: why the leafs turn yellow?

Thank you Mitchel this is very informative.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects