Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

dog proof irrigation system?

artywah
Just Starting Out

dog proof irrigation system?

I have a large rooftop area with a lot of potted plants. Last summer I ran an irrigaron system and put in timer taps to keep everything thriving which worked well except... my dog keeps eating the sprays and drippers. She tries to bite the hose nozzel as well when watering - anyting with flowing water attracts her.

Any suggestions on how to keep the sprays and drippers in the pots so she can't pull tthem out?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: dog proof irrigation system?

That must be really frustrating @artywah. Hopefully the Workshop community will have some suggestions for you.

You might also be interested in these posts:

Puppy friendly gardens

Keep pets off your seedlings

Show off your pet

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. I hope you find the site to be informative, inspirational and plenty of fun. Thanks for joining the community. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Goldmember
Having an Impact

@artywah

Very tricky one! I would check with the vet whether there's something safe you can use to keep the dog away. I know you can spray plants with white vinegar to keep dogs off, or sprinkle mustard or red pepper flakes. Otherwise you might have to consider some sort of border to keep the dog out of the area. Dogs don't like spiky things so you could use rose bush prunings?

Good luck.

CathD
Making a Splash

I don't think any sprays or coatings are going to work given that the water will wash them away. So I'd be trying to build physical barriers to keep the dog out. Good luck @artywah.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects