Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are vinyl tiles suitable for kitchen splashback?

DIYGirll
Finding My Feet

Are vinyl tiles suitable for kitchen splashback?

Are these vinyl tiles suitable for a kitchen bench makeover? Heatproof near cooktop?

44899B83-2773-43DC-AB7A-77C777887B95.png

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Are these vinyl tiles suitable for a kitchen benxh makeover? heatroof near cooktop?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DIYGirll. It's great to have you join us.

Are you looking to use these vinyl tiles on your benchtop or splashback?

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to help with your question when he's back on the site on Friday. In the meantime, let me tag @tom_builds and @TedBear to see if they can offer any thoughts.

We'd love to hear more about your kitchen renovation and we're here to help along the way.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Are vinyl tiles suitable for kitchen splashback?

Hi @DIYGirll .

My answer to that question has to be a definite No.

Not only is the glue likely to be flammable, it isn't recommended to install them over heated flooring, so the heat near your Cook top is likely to be even hotter.

What's even worse is that vinyl tiles contain Persistent Bioaccumulative Toxins, which if released by cutting and/or friction (as experienced in a benchtop situation) could be ingested & can cause nasty damage to your health.  I recommend that those tiles are best left down on the floor out of harms way.

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @DIYGirll

Welcome to the Workshop community.

We're always excited to hear of members tackling DIY projects so thanks for sharing this with us!

Even if the heat of a stovetop did not affect these vinyl tiles on a benchtop, I would imagine that if a hot pan or pot was placed directly on top the vinyl would be likely to melt/ or discolour. 

Instead you could consider repainting the current benchtop (fairly cheap and easy), or replacing the benchtop completely (more expensive and complicated).

Let us know how you go, and good luck with your kitchen makeover! 

thankyou, that's exactly the information I needed confirming.

Bliv
Cultivating a Following

another option is to buy laminate and glue it over your existing benchtop, then paint the sides of your cupboards
this is the plan im going with once i finish flooring. Im currently ripping up carpet in the lounge and laying those winton stick on tiles myself (30x30cm charcoal tile)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bliv

Thank you for joining the discussion. Your recommendation is definitely a good option when renovating benchtops. Putting new laminate on a benchtop is a traditional and affordable method of renovation. It saves you time, money and it's safe to use in the kitchen. 

We look forward to seeing the start of your benchtop renovation.

Eric

Which products will you recommend for repainting? Thanks🙏🏻

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jessmale

Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your question about painting splashbacks.

Is your splashback tiled? If it is you can use the Dulux 1L Renovation Range Tiles & Benchtops Gloss White to paint the tiles a new colour. However, if you wish to have a timber grain look to your splashback you will have to change the tiles. You can also paint your benchtop a different colour as well. If you are renovating your kitchen, we would love to see what you are planning. Any updates you can show us would be much appreciated by our members.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a tiled splashback 

Here is a link to give you ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular kitchen projects

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects