Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Crumbling brick wall

Kimbo86
Just Starting Out

Crumbling brick wall

Hi there,

Our house was built in 1910. We have a brick wall that surrounds the oven area. The top section of the wall still appears intact, however the lower part of the wall is crumbling. See attached photos. Could I please have advice how I may go about fixing the lower part of the wall?

Thank you so much for your advice!left side of wallleft side of wallright side of wallright side of wallright side of wallright side of wallwall 4.jpg

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Crumbling brick wall

Hi @Kimbo86
Unfortunately, the brick, mortar & work quality dating back a century ago was poor unlike today,
Ironically the plaster that has been removed , supposedly a design feature today, masked
Substandard masonry that doesnt meet todays Australian Standards (AS3700),

The cheaper option is to repair and replace the necessary bricks, re-plaster and Wallpaper.hth

Not helpful at all they were still using those bricks in 1955.

Maybe helpful earlier we talked about brick panels in another thread, they are thin bricks in a sheet with mortar so you can get the look of exposed brick without the sins of the past being on show.
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with Bim on this one, need to disassemble and re-mortar the whole thing. Just to give you a birds eye view on the repair. You will need a structural engineer to determine if removing the bricks poses a danger to what it is supporting. You then can rent bracing poles to hold said structure. Disassemble from top to bottom. Perhaps acquire new bricks and reassemble. You will need to cook some place else for the mean time. The area must be prepped for a lot of dust and dirt. A good brick layer should be able to do this in 1 week but allowing for drying time and framing 2 weeks at most. Doing a patch job will not work and you will just end up removing your repair job. Measure the whole are to be repaired. Ask for a quote for new bricks. Other option is to remove bricks have it framed and just use plaster board for the whole thing.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kimbo86,

Great to see you make your first Workshop post and receive expert advice. We look forward to seeing how this project progresses. Please let us know if you need further recommendations on how to proceed - I'm sure our members will be happy to help in any way they can.

Welcome to the community, and please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects