Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. Lazy Susan

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

D.I.Y. Lazy Susan

IMG_2532.JPG

I have been wanting to make a lazy Suzan for my dining table, I finally made not one but decided to make two of them, made from merbau timber 70mm x 19mm, 385mm diameter to suit my dining table, finished with water based clear satin varnish.

I also made a jig to router the circles on my router table.

Lazy suzan mechanism

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2443 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_2448 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_2449 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Jig made to finish routing the circles.

IMG_2453 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_2454 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_2455 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_2475 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_2476 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_2477 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

JOYM3183.JPG

IMG_2532.JPGIMG_2533.JPG

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: D.I.Y. Lazy Susan

Brilliant! :smile:

I'm not a smart man, so it took me a little time to figure out your jig above, or I think I have. The wood is cut into a rough circle, mounted to the Susan bracket which is on the jig, pushed forward (via the slotted bolts) onto the router blade - and rotated?

Very nice router table!

Use to love these things in Chinese restaurants.

You've inspired me to make one - so that it fits over a gas heater stem in the middle of an outdoor table.

Where did you get the Lazy Susan hardware kit from?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JoeAzza

Thank you so much for sharing your Lazy Susan project. Your method of making a jig and cutting the timber using the Susan bracket to rotate the timber is truly inspirational. It took me a moment to figure out how it was done until @Noyade explained the method. What glue did you use to stick the timbers together? This would make an excellent gift to friends and family.  

Again, thank you for sharing your Lazy Susan project, we look forward to seeing your next creation.

Eric     

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

It's great that @JoeAzza's project has inspired you to make your own Lazy Susan. Here is the link to the Lazy Susan Bearing Plates. They come in different sizes and weight-bearing capacities. Please choose carefully before purchasing your preferred bearing. Any updates you can provide while building your own Lazy Susan would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you, @Noyade  you are correct, that's the way I made my router jig.

The hardware for the Lazy Susan is from Bunnings, they have various size.

I found out later that Bunnings sell precut circle timber at various sizes, saves a lot of work in gluing timber together, then cutting/routing to size, you might just need to re cut to the required diameter. (see second image below).

It's more fun making your own from scratch.

JoeAzza_0-1641799946617.png

JoeAzza_1-1641800162157.png

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @EricL  thank you, the glue I used is Titebond 3, it's a water resistance glue, not available from Bunnings.

Would you know if there is an equivalent available from Bunnings, it needs to be water resistant and food grade or better.

JoeAzza_0-1641800508588.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JoeAzza

The closest equivalent I've seen is Gorilla 532ml Wood Glue. It passes the ANSI/HPVA Type II water resistance and complies with the FDA #CFR21 175.105.

Eric 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@EricL thankyou, good to know for when I need to get some more glue. (please note this an internal use glue)

@EricL Just to add to this post, I remembered that I do have a glue purchased from Bunnings, it's for outdoor use, however, not sure if it's suitable for food contact. It is non toxic.

IMG_2556[1].JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects